Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

are boss pedals all digital?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by 33degrees, Aug 5, 2005.

1. 33degrees

33degrees

Jun 4, 2005
    Spain
    are boss pedals digital? i am using a compressor and a tuner both made by boss. Also, if i use the Tuner in bypass mode is it still converting my bass signal into a digital format as the boss pedals dont have true bypass??? :confused:

2. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    most of them are analog, i think the only digital are the delays, pith shifters, synth (d`oh) and some others that NEED to be digital

3. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    My Boss pedals at least aren't true-bypass or digital. :)

They degrade signal quality pretty well, but you spend what, like $25 on a Loooper or something and you can use as many pedals as you like, and still go clean to the amp. I'm actually thinking of going to something (like a great multi-effect) instead of adding more and more pedals.

You could also put 'em in your FX Loop on the amp, if you had 2 extra long instrument cables, and then you have to deal with levels and stuff. I never liked my FX in the Loop of any amp I've owned. Rather go straight in.

4. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    with regards to the synth comment posted above, the SYB-3 is analog whilst the SYB-5 is digital. tracking on the syb3 is terrible. though but this is improved on the syb5. i certainly prefer the syb5 if only for that fact that you can actually get a usable sound out of it.

i dont think that any boss pedals are true bypass, but that doesnt make them digital.

5. jazzbassist

jazzbassist

Aug 1, 2005
    majority of bosses are anologue, however i wouldnt be put off by a digital boss pedal. its such a reptable company the digital ones are probably just as good as the anologues

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Most are analog, but none are true bypass. The signal loss isn't too noticable to my ears to worry, but you may not like it. It's up to you.

7. 33degrees

33degrees

Jun 4, 2005
    Spain
    yea its really just the tuner, i really like the boss TU-2 with the little lights flashing!