Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

are brice fretlesses as good as essex fretlesses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ErikKrueger, Dec 30, 2002.

1. yeah, i noticed on rondo music that the essex fretlesses are on the same page as the brice ones. are the brice basses as reliable and well-made as essex? if so, i am most likely going to get the 5 string or 6 string fretless.

2. bump

3. I've never seen one of those and probably wont see one for years.. but in the pictures they look very interesting for the money. I really think they are as good as other not well known korean made basses.

4. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    If you look through the Essex megathread you will see that Kurt has made several comments on them. If I remember correctly he said they were of similar quality. You could email Kurt at Rondo directly and ask him yourself. I understand he is very approachable.

Dan

5. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    Actually, If I remember correctly.. I believe Kurt stated that IHO, he thought that the Brices were better quality construction than the SX.

6. cool, thank you alot for the info.

7. I owned a fretless 5-string Brice for a few days - had to return it because of a faulty pickup. They are really low-end instruments, of course - there's almost no finish on the back of the neck, the tuners are cheap and the pickups sound flat. Build quality seemed okay for a "no-budet instrument", but the neck didn't have a solid feel. Body is very light and the quilt top is paper-thin. Still, it makes for a useable entry-level instrument or beater.

8. hmm, might not be getting one now then.