Are Bronco necks raw and unfinished ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Brocephus, Mar 30, 2021.

1. Brocephus

Brocephus

Sep 18, 2019
    I stumbled across a thread here stating the Bronco necks are unsealed and unfinished. I assumed at least a thin, cheap spray of clear coat, but I was surprised and how quickly my neck started discoloring, and I assumed it just had a thin or poorly applied clearcoat, till reading otherwise, so now I dunno. OP
    I've since sanded the back of the neck and done the Tru Oil thing ( love that stuff), which had come out very nicely, but I haven't messed with the headstock.
    The fret board is now taking on some discoloration, but that looks kinda cool.
    Anyway,what's the story with these things? They just slabs of raw, unprotected wood ?

2. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    I honestly don't think that a single builder, regardless how cheap, would not apply any finish whatsoever. That's a recipe for disaster.

Fender states "Neck Finish: Satin Urethane"
    I agree that it's thin, but it's there.

Brocephus likes this.
  3. Brocephus

Brocephus

Sep 18, 2019
    Thanks man, I kinda thought there almost had to be some sort of protectant, ( i recall one of the aftermarket parts makers like Allparts or Warmoth saying they wouldn't warranty their necks if you didnt apply some sort of oil or finish ), but I was surprised at how quickly my skin oils were darkening my neck, and after reading that comment, I figured I'd just ask the matrix.

4. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    People have different body chemistries that interact with different finishes differently.

Brocephus likes this.