Are bronze strings the only option for playing ABG unplugged with acoustic guitars?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Squidfinger, Jun 9, 2005.

1. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I know nothing about ABG's or bronze strings but am buying an Olympia OB3CE very soon (just waiting for the check).

I've always been kind of jealous of my guitarist friends when they play their acoustics. Now I'll be able to sit in :hyper: ! I just need to know what strings to get. I'll be playing with a pick.
  2. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
  3. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    To be honest, I doubt that you'll be able to hear yourself over the other acoustics while playing unplugged, regardless of the strings you use. :meh:
  4. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Actually, those Olympia basses are quite loud. I reccomend using bronze strings, but it is not absolutley necessary. I just have never liked the sound of regular steel or nickel strings on an ABG. I have found that the bronze strings are generally louder acoustically.
  5. 7flat5

Nov 28, 2003
    Upstate NY
    A lot of people like a lively nylon tape wound string like the Labella 760N or Fenders or GHS tapewounds.
  6. I kind of like flats on an ABG (or even better, on a fretless one). A lot of upright thump. You might consider it as an option, but it won't cut through as much as bronze or nickel/steel strings.
  7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

My wife has one of these. Much louder than 99% of the ABGs on the market. The only things I have found that are louder is the old Ernie Ball Earthwoods, and the real deal Tacomas. The Olympia is Tacoma's import line.
  8. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I have a Tacoma version and I could be heard just fine playing alongside 2 acoustic guitars and a mando. In fact, I got a lot of compliments on how full it sounded.

I use the bronze strings as well.
  9. fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    Are these darlin's still being built ?
  10. *smb

Nov 26, 2006
    Yes they are. Search t'internet rather than bump ancient threads!