1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Are calculators really just disposable?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by wdinc01, Aug 28, 2007.

1. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    I know this may seem strange, but it's popped up a few times in school. Someone has a calculator that has dead batteries, so they just go out and buy a new one, as opposed to replacing the batteries in it. Are calculators really that disposable?

Considering that I'm speaking of scientific calculators, they might go for like $15. That's what Amazon brought up for the prices of the calculator I use, and the Texas Instrument brand that's common around high school. Price for batteries? Around $4, up to $10.

So people think that the inconvenience of figuring out what battery you need, buying it, opening up the calculator, and replacing the batteries is enough to justify them buying a new calculator. I've used the same calculator for over three years, and replaced the batteries once. I tell you, it was much easier than finding the same calculator, or having to learn how to use a new one.

Does this make me crazy? Or is there anyone out there who agrees?

2. Lost Drummer

Lost Drummer

Aug 27, 2007
    Nashville TN
    the calculator I use cost 100$ definitely not a disposable.

but then again the batteries are very common so it isn't a
    problem

3. I forget how much my TI-86 calculator cost, but I wouldn't want to replace it everytime the batteries died. Besides, the batteries may have been sold seperately.

4. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    Well yeah, of course a graphing calculator isn't disposable. But the batteries are also easy to replace, because you just slip the cover off on the back of the ones I've seen. However, for the cheaper regular or scientific covers, you gotta unscrew the back.

5. I've used my HP 11C almost daily since I got it in 1984, and I'd be heartbroken if anything ever happened to it. I don't even know if you can get RPN calculators anymore.

6. It's mental that anyone would buy anything new instead of replacing the batteries in their existing one.
    Can you imagine doing that with a bass?!

7. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Also have a $100+ calculator. Wouldn't throw it away just because the batteries died.

8. I just picked up an 8 dollar calculator for my trig and such at work. I'll probaly pick up another instead of batteries when it poops. Probaly like $6-10 for batteries, $8 for a brand new calculator. That's the way the world is nowadays, cheaper to get a new one than fix the old one.

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Cheap calculators i guess.

But i use a ti-89 titanium

10. BuffaloMO

BuffaloMO

May 26, 2005
    Land of OZ
    Buy a solar calculator and you never have to replace a battery or calculator! :)

11. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Yep, a one with a battery and a solar panel on the front. Problem solved!

12. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

Yep, I used the same calculator from grade 10 through my undergrad and grad school. It's a Casio with dual power. It has yet to fail me and has pretty much all the physical constants programmed into it. I think it was probably $20-30 new.

13. middy

middy

Mar 14, 2007
    Texas
    The basic ones are almost all "solar" powered now, aren't they?

14. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    No, you're not crazy. Ironically, the people who buy new calculators instead of replacing the batteries must be really bad at math.

15. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK

My TI is solar as well, got it back in college (1987). No batteries to replace. Still using it.

16. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    That's the one thing I don't quite get about my calculator. You'd figure it would have a solar panel on it, and I wish it did. But it doesn't. I think they (Sharp) has a model out that's the exact same thing, except with a solar panel. Maybe next time the batteries die, I'll replace it with one of those. Until then, I'm good.

And I don't doubt that for a second.

17. Thanks for the links! Wow... my 23 year old calculator is still worth as much as it was new... cool. :cool:

I might have to pick up one of those new RPNs as a backup, since my present one is old enough to legally drink. :p

18. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound