Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Are Carvin heads any good???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Cornellius, Jan 3, 2005.

1. Cornellius

Cornellius

Jan 5, 2004
    Dallas,Texas
    I'm already convinced of their quality...the title was just to get attention : ). But I do have some questions. I'm looking at two heads on sale at ebay- one is the R600 and the other is the R1000. I have a 800 watt Dr. bass cab,and I was thinking about going for the R1000. Problem is, the R600 seller gave me a second chance to buy his item. :rollno: So what do you guys think??

R600 or R1000 for the cab?

Oh, they're both going for 280.00, by the way.

2. i dunno i've heard bad stuff about the old carvin stuff but have never owned one.

3. I would honestly go for the new B500 or B1500, they're a lot better than the red line series.

4. If they're going for the same price I'd go with the R1000. Granted the B1500 is probably better but the price is higher. I've played through the R1000 and its matching 8x10 and can't fault it. Gobs of power and very usable tones.

5. Joe Boom

Joe Boom

Jun 25, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    That is nice that the seller of the R600 gave you a second chance, but that does not improve the value of the offer. For the same money I would go with the R1000. Althought, are both heads the same series? The Series III redline heads have the 12AX7 tube emulator circuit, while previous models had the actual tube pre-amp. I own an R600 III currently and prefer it to the series II.

6. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Nothing wrong with either head but the R1000 is clearly the winner in watts per $ ratio. The quality is on par with any other manufaturer on the market. Alot of people don't like the tones available from it. Ofcourse, tone is 100% subjective. I think the big complaint with Carvin bass gear has been with the Redline series of cabs.

7. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    While not up to the quality of an SWR, Eden, aguilar or other high enders, my R600 is hugely loud. I rarely ever need more power.

8. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    I currently own both the R1000 and the R600. The R1000 is paired with a Carvin RL410 and RL 18, while the R600 is integrated into the RL 6815 combo.(Cyclops) With two years of playing both rigs extensively, I would seriously recommend the R600. Remember that my judgement is probably also colored by the difference in cabs, the R600 seems to react to the "extra" features more naturally. I have yet to find a pleasing slap tone in the R1000 but with slight compression, the R600 kicks it out hard. Just my findings.

9. troll

troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    I had the same r1000 410/118 setup a few years back. I actually didn't mind it one bit. At one point I was still using the r1000 into the BXT cabs I currently have, and I think I almost had better luck with it than my current svp-bsp/amp combo. Then again I have a considerable amount more volume now :)

It's not a great head, but certainly not a horrible one.

Troll

10. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    I have a Carvin PB200 which is the little brother to the R600/1000 heads. I think any dislike among these heads comes from the fact that there many controls and the user needs to familiarize themselves with them. Mine only has half the knobs and I can get a bad sound out of it real easy. The trick is just understanding what each knob does and how they affect each other. If you do get one, Go visit the boys on the Carvin bbs. Very helpful, lot's of advice and plenty of owners. I've also owned an older Carvin PB400 and never had any problems.

11. quatre03

quatre03

Aug 20, 2004
    I have a carvin r-1000, ive had it for a year now and tonight was the fist night i actualy liked how it sounded...

12. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    I can't actually say that the R1000 sounds "bad", it just doesn't sound as good as the Cyclops. The same settings on both heads yeild a great flexible tone from the Cyclops, but the stack sounds "honky" to my ears. Once again, the difference is probably my cabs. What type and size cabs are you planning to pair with the Carvin?

13. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    I've played througha few Carvin heads and they aren't bad. I liked it better than my Hartke I have right now. (With a Sunn Coliseum 300 on the way! :bassist: )

I'd say if you can try them before hand to go for it. Try out a few in the price range if available to get a good feel.

I would also suggest a Kustom GrooveBass head for tone and watts per $.

14. Robear22

Robear22 Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill
    Its like EOTS said. You have to get familiar with what the knobs and switches do. I had the RC210 with the R600 head. The preset tone switches would set you up one way but you could cancel that setting out by adjusting your eq. You have to study up on the amp to get some good sound out of it. It was my speakers that I did not like. That is why I sold it but now I wish I had it back. It was a good combo with lots of features.