1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Are coils on pbasses the same?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Tommygunn, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    I would like to do a 6er with delano p pups. But they only have 5er pups. How would a top coil and a top coil work together? Would they have to be rewound? Thanks.

2. tubby.twins

tubby.twins Amateur Pickup Reviewer Gold Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Oregon
    They'd probably need to be re-wound and re-magnetized. On the "PC 5 HE" pickup I think the two halves are wound in opposite directions and the magnetic polarity is the same. The different "PMVC 5 HE" models should be opposite directions as well, but the polarity may vary. If you check their website, you can see the circle and triangle options; usually the circle implies opposite polarity, but the triangle implies same polarity.

However, if you really wanted to do this, you should probably contact Delano and see if they can make you a custom pickup to your specifications. They've done a few for me, and the results have been wonderful. You would need to specify the string spacing as well as how much the two split halves would need to overlap. (I don't think a regular 4-string P route is wide enough to cover all 6 strings with the default overlap amount.)

I'm curious why you want to use a P-style split pickup on a 6-string bass. You'd probably get similar results by using a "SBC" dual-coil (parallel) pickup in a more standard soapbar shape, or the "JSBC" twin-coil (inline) pickup in a slimmer shape. The "SBC" pickup has the advantage for compatibility with other brands, since it is the same shape as the Bartolini "P4" pickups and can easily be swapped out for others.

Maybe you should ask Delano to make a "twin coil inline humcanceller" in the same shape as the SBC pickup? This would probably get you closest to the P tone in a shape that's more standard.

3. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    Oh. They do custom shop pickups too. Prolly expensive as hell tho. I like the look and sound of pbass pups. IMO a 6er p would be awesome. Someone on here has one but the have nordstrand pups in it (IIRC it was 4 coils on the top and 2 on the bottom), and I think it'd look better with 3 on top and three on bottom.

Custom shop pups sound like the way to go.

4. tubby.twins

tubby.twins Amateur Pickup Reviewer Gold Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Oregon
    I agree, 3+3 is probably going to be better than 4+2. My experience with custom Delano pickups is that the price has always been very reasonable. Then again, I didn't ask for anything in a custom shell that they didn't already make. (There are some examples of really interesting custom pickups on their site.)

If they use the existing P-bass shells (3 for each string) and you have a custom routing done on your bass to line up under the strings, it should be okay.

5. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    I'm guessing that it won't be as expensive as your current plan, which is the cost of TWO sets of 5-string pickups.

6. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    Well I don't know of anybody having a 6er pbass body so Imma make it from a body blank. No problem.