Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Are compressions and eq's needed

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by zyxwfish, Dec 28, 2002.

1. zyxwfish

zyxwfish

Dec 12, 2002
    Bethlehem, PA
    I heard your not right if you don't use compression and eq's.

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    That's correct.

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, and furthermore, only if they're made by boss. otherwise, may as well sell that bass right now.

4. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    C'mon, be nice!
    No they are not required, but compression can certainly clean up & even out the tonal spectrum & eq can definetly aid in structuring your sound & tone to the varied environments that you may find yourself in.
    Now, if you don't need to use 'em in a certain case, you can turn 'em off.
    I am thankful that I have as part of my signal chain
    arsenal BOSS GEB-7 & LMB-3 for eq & compression
    respectively. They've done a lot in different circumstances.

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    See? If they're not Boss, you're wrong again!

6. Necessary? No
    Helpful? Yes

I have a Yamaha GC2020C Compressor/Limiter, an Eq on my Yamaha Bass and on my Amp

7. I let my sound tech take care of it. I run a DI and a Sennhieser 421, get a good sound out of my amp, and stay with the monitor mix, not my amp. By the second song in sound check, he's got it dialed in. I control the dynamics in the mix with my hands; he uses his comp to trim off the peaks and ad a bit of sustain, but the control of how it fits in the mix remains with me.

But, it depends how you like it. Compressors are fine tools that have their place. But the one in my rack stays off.

8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Yep! I use very gentle compression, just enough to keep my slapping from overwhelming my fingerstyle. I use just enough EQ to adjust for room acoustics. But I have no problem with those who like to get jiggy with their EQ or compression. If it sounds good, do it (as long as your bandmates are cool with it too).

9. I also use very gentle compression (3:1 Ratio) in addition to limiting, but I use my eq for changing tone (but as soon as I have found a good setting I normally don't change it)