Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Are Cordura Slip Covers Washable???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Apr 22, 2005.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hey all,

i was wondering i can toss my Epifani tuki covers in with the dry cleaning next time i go?

anyone know?

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I'm sure that a dry cleaner could safely clean them. Home washing machine would probably work, but I would suspect that you might lose some of the waterproofing (if any).

This would be a good question to have answered by someone in the know.

3. Joker, sometimes I just hang mine out on a nice sunny day and it really smells much better after that, of couse not as good as a good cleaning. Maybe just a little mild detergent and scrub brush some cold water out of a hose and air dry.

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    thx guys,

yea, my covers are really startin' to stink of smoke, and could use a good cleanin'. but yea, i'm a little concerned that the dry cleaning would strip away the water resistant nature of the cordura.

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I would think that dry cleaning would be less likely to strip away water resistance than using soap and water. You might want to try straight up water (no soap) and air-drying outside on a sunny day. This is what they recommend for my Sunbrella boat covers, which use a somewhat similar material.

6. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I have washed many of them over the years. If they are just a little dingy, I would try plain water and a good stiff brush. I have used a very diluted solution of Simple Green and water also Murphys oil soap and water. Both combinations work well, but I find the key is do not get too sudsy, and try not to get the inside pad very wet. Remember to rinse well after scrubbing and let them air dry completely before using. Big String also makes a good point. A bit of sun and open air does wonders. If the inside is soiled, I would try Blue Coral Dri-Clean avilable at auto supply centers. It is a pretty mild cleaner that works wonders on fabrics and car interiors.