Are D'Addario Slowounds Tapercore (for Fbass BN5)??

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Tapp, Jun 1, 2003.

1. Tapp

Aug 29, 2001
    USA, Mississippi
    I'm looking for a good set of strings to go on an Fbass BN5 and I've been a D'Addario XL nickel fan for many years. The E&B saddle grooves look pretty narrow on the BN5 so maybe a tapercore would be better for this bass. Are the Slowounds tapered?

Also, do the standard long scales fit the BN5 or do I need the super longs?

thanks Tapp
  2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Ain't got no BN5, so I can't answer all your questions, but I believe that only the Slowound B is tapered. If you call D'Addario, they will answer your questions.
  3. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    yep, just the b is taper wound...the core is NOT is exposed on any of the strings like on the labellas that f basses ship with. might i suggest going with Dean Markley sr2000's? they're taper wound stainless strings (slowounds are nickel), and all of the strings are tapered with the exception of strings normally tuned to g c and f (the skinny ones ;) ).
  4. Tapp

Aug 29, 2001
    USA, Mississippi
    Thanks Neptoon and Flatwound. I really want to stay with D'Addario nickels since I'm used to the feel and tension and the tone is usually consistent. I would use the XL's but I don't know if the B string will fit or sound right on the Hipshot bridge saddle.

I just ordered some Slowound super longs so I'll give them a try.