Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Are D'Addario Slowounds Tapercore (for Fbass BN5)??

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Tapp, Jun 1, 2003.

1. Tapp

Tapp

Aug 29, 2001
    USA, Mississippi
    I'm looking for a good set of strings to go on an Fbass BN5 and I've been a D'Addario XL nickel fan for many years. The E&B saddle grooves look pretty narrow on the BN5 so maybe a tapercore would be better for this bass. Are the Slowounds tapered?

Also, do the standard long scales fit the BN5 or do I need the super longs?

thanks Tapp

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Ain't got no BN5, so I can't answer all your questions, but I believe that only the Slowound B is tapered. If you call D'Addario, they will answer your questions.

3. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    yep, just the b is taper wound...the core is NOT is exposed on any of the strings like on the labellas that f basses ship with. might i suggest going with dean markley sr2000's? they're taper wound stainless strings (slowounds are nickel), and all of the strings are tapered with the exception of strings normally tuned to g c and f (the skinny ones ;) ).

4. Tapp

Tapp

Aug 29, 2001
    USA, Mississippi
    Thanks Neptoon and Flatwound. I really want to stay with D'Addario nickels since I'm used to the feel and tension and the tone is usually consistent. I would use the XL's but I don't know if the B string will fit or sound right on the Hipshot bridge saddle.

I just ordered some Slowound super longs so I'll give them a try.

Tapp