Are digital amps any good?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Hutch801, Aug 9, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Hutch801

Hutch801

Jan 29, 2022
    I have seen allot of people talking about digital amps and I'm starting to look at them. How do they sound compared to regular amps? I just play at home, sometimes with headphones and out loud as well. Let me know what you think.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  2. duncmill

duncmill

Jan 27, 2011
    Digital modeling amps? Class D does not signify digital.

3. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    The term "digital" is typically referring to a Class-D amp -- a misnomer, but one that has been reinforced by some marketing departments. Whatever.

Yes, they're any good. There are some fabulous Class-D amps on the market right now. As with earlier technologies, some are better than others, but a bit of research and a listening session will guide you to a good choice.

Al Kraft, eff-clef, JRA and 9 others like this.
  4. Hutch801

Hutch801

Jan 29, 2022
    Thanks for the input, using a amp from my computer just seems weird to me still.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  5. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    Are you refering to a digital audio workstation (DAW) plugin and a digital converter to get it into your computer. You can make a good noise with them, especially when combined with other plugins. Plugins are like eating snacks, you can never get enough of them.

6. willsellout

willsellout I apologize in advance. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Yes please clarify if you are talking about a plug in or a class D amp. That would help out.

Sid Fang, legalbass, kobass and 3 others like this.
  7. Hutch801

Hutch801

Jan 29, 2022
    Sorry I did not clarify, I believe it is a DAW. The artificial amp program on your computer.

8. willsellout

willsellout I apologize in advance. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Well I’m that case I can say there are very good ones. The GK 800RB plugin for universal audio is one of the best out there. Lots of amp plugins out there for DAW’s. Really though if it sounds good to you, it is good, IMO.

6-3-2, DJ Bebop and Hutch801 like this.
  9. Roger that.

Some are better than others to my understanding, but the good ones are GOOD.

10. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    Like everything, it takes time to get used to it and figure out how to get a good sound out of it. It's ideal if you don't want to make a lot of noise that would disturb others.

DJ Bebop, pie_man_25 and Hutch801 like this.
  11. Hutch801

Hutch801

Jan 29, 2022
    I have watched some videos and they sound good, plus they are cheaper than allot of regular amps. I'm staying to consider it.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  12. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Aha, ignore my above post. DAW's are outside my wheelhouse. ;)

13. FSGrind

FSGrind Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2016
    Yes, they are good. entirely depends on what you're after. if it's having fun playing at home & making something that is listenable? it will do just fine.

Hutch801 likes this.
  14. I have had good experiences with plugin amp simulators too, particularly on recordings or just playing along to tracks on the computer for practice.
    I would not play through plugins live though, not even at rehearsal...too many potential points of failure for my liking.
    And yes, I do realize all kinds of professionals play through plugins, serve click tracks or play backing tracks live...power to them.

Hutch801 likes this.
  15. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    They have also have the resources to insure that their systems are robust and reliable, which is a lot more expensive than for hobby or casual use.

16. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    Yeah. There are great ones. There are not so great ones.

17. C Niz

C Niz

Sep 14, 2019
    New Orleans
    Plugin-alliance has some really good ones made by brainworx, I have the ampeg svt-vr classic that I use a lot. Just wait for a sale and you can pick it up for cheap. They don’t use a lot of cpu either. Free trials, and once you buy something they start sending you loyalty vouchers every month for $25. If you do a lot of mixing they make excellent plugins for other stuff too.
    All Plugins & Products go there and click on guitar and bass and it will take you to them

DirtDog likes this.
  18. Class d and/or digital preamps can and do sound magnificent, depending on what you think magnificent sounds like

19. paskisti

paskisti

Jan 20, 2005
    Once when I had weak moment I was considering using audio interface, standalone plug-in (Neural B7KU) and computer to drive power amp and bass cab. I didn't do it because I got same sound with physical stomp box. However if I was using more effects, I would route that signal chain via DAW, and have endless options for my sound with plug-ins. Not super robust system in live though.

20. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    I sometimes use a real amp that’s connected to a load box. It goes into a digital interface and into the computer. There, modelled cabs are added and digitally combined. That goes into the DAW software.

Digital consoles are used by some today for live and other work. Plugins are used in place of outboard racks of equipment. Some directly connect their instruments via a DI to these consoles.

Live Sound Production | Solid State Logic - Solid State Logic

You don’t need to understand this to appreciate what is being done digitally.