1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Are Dimarzio Model J and Schaller JBX the same pickup?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by miles'tone, Aug 14, 2012.

1. miles'tone

miles'tone

Feb 26, 2008
    Wales, U.K
    They look the same from what I can see but do they perform/sound the same?
    I want a set of Model J's but I can get the Schallers cheaper from a friend.

Any ideas or experience with both? They are for my fretless by the way.

Cheers,

Miles.

2. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    They are not the same pickup, insofar that Schaller makes their own pickups, but they are almost exactly the same in design, and they sound the same.

I had a DiMarzio Model P and a Schaller JBX in a fretless bass back in the 80s.

3. miles'tone

miles'tone

Feb 26, 2008
    Wales, U.K
    Thanks David. It's really funny as I was about to pm you about it as I thought I remembered that you did indeed use a combo of the two on a fretless! Thanks for pitching in.
    The Schallers I have the chance to buy are actually my old ones that I sold to a friend many moons ago. Needed some extra beef in a jazz at the time and they certainly did the trick but I just found them to be too wooly and unclear ( this was back before I discovered the joys of Talkbass and info such as people using 500k pots with their model J's to bring some bite back into the mix!)
    If they are pretty much the same kind of thing then changing my 250k pots for some 500's should do the trick.
    How did you find the JBX as a bridge pup on your fretless? Could you get that 'Jaco-esque' 16th note thing with them or were they a different beast?

Thanks again,

Miles.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Don't expect miracles.

5. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Sure, it's a full sounding pickup for a J. I wasn't using that kind of tone at the time, and I was playing with a pick, but it gets any of the tones the Model J gets.

6. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    I gotta say, I've never heard a schaller pickup that i thought was great. (pulling them out of older heritage guitars for better stuff is a routine upgrade.)

They make great hardware, though.

7. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I have a set of Schaller P pickups that I am stoked about using in my next build if they do, in fact, sound like Dimarzos.

8. miles'tone

miles'tone

Feb 26, 2008
    Wales, U.K
    I've been in touch with my friend this morning and he's just going to give me the Schallers back, so you've just saved me the price of some new Model J's David, cheers!

Fretless fat P/J played with a pick? Sounds like heaven to me!

9. SubliminalKid

SubliminalKid

Feb 23, 2016
    How did it go with the replacement? did it the change stick?