1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Are Drummers Unneccesary in Some Genres???

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Nyarlathotep, Dec 7, 2006.

1. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    No offence meant or anything, but are they???

And ya, I listen to/play metal :p

2. Sure. Ever hear The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan? Nebraska?

3. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Well, in general I'd say no instrument is "necessary" in most genres most of the time. There are of course exceptions. For example, it would be hard to imagine metal without guitars or polkas without accordians. :D But I'd bet you could make most genres work with a subset of the instruments you typically see in bands in a given genre.

But I'd have to say that in the "boy-band of the week" genre no drummer is required. In fact, no instruments are required at all. Ever see them on TV? In those "bands" you have somewhere between 3 and 429 singers doing their own choreographed moves while there's triple the number of dancers doing their own stuff on the rest of the stage. I hear the music they're lip syncing to, but there are NO musicians onstage! Where's the band?!?!?!

4. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    Certainly. A drummer would not work at all in the context of my gig, a traditional Catholic Mass with classical guitar, grand piano, and soon-to-be EUB :)D), playing traditional classical-esque Catholic hymns.

No instrument is necessary in every single genre, so keep that in mind and no one should be "offended." :smug:

5. I don't think you need a drummer at Tuba-Fest

6. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    :cool:

7. Bluegrass. Hardly ever a drummer.
    Various kinds of electronic music: mostly programmed.
    Hip-hop.
    Drum circles. Always unnecessary.

8. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    I play tonnes of jazz gigs where a drummer is specifically excluded by the management. But there often times wouldn't be any room for one anyhow.

9. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    If you're a monster (upright) slapper, rockabilly as well.

10. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Classical?

I've always wondered how time was kept in a classical/orchestral ensemble. Is that what the conductor does?

11. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    Actually, most orchestras have extensive percussion sections. Ever heard of a Timpani? :D

12. This was the first one that came to mind, but it was alot easier to do a few decades ago when the songs were simpler.

13. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Yep, I do think so. I like hand-percussion and stuff sometimes.

14. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    ---->

:confused:

15. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    A lot of Latin-based music doesn't have a drummer, but has a ridiculously huge percussion section.

16. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    Apparently not:
    :meh:

Though the timpanist (or other percussion) is not "keeping time" at all. PL's original suggestion that the conductor does this is more correct. It's not so much "keeping time" (like you would holding down the groove in a pop/rock/jazz band) as defining the tempo (& feel, dynamics, etc.).

17. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    As a drummer/percussionist, I think it's weird that some people here are saying "no drums, but percussion". A standard "traps" drum kit is a type of drums, a set of congas is a type of drums, anything hollow with a head that you hit for rhythm is a drum. I didn't necessarily think the OP was asking "are traps players unnecessary".

At first I also objected to the hip-hop choice, but it's true that a "drummer" per se may not be needed in a lot of those productions.

A fair amount of European folk music can be played without drumming, tango is often played with no drummer, "chamber music", certain Baltic and Asian traditional vocal genres, old-school country and blues...

18. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Ya, so I've been listening to some of my extensive metal collection... my conclusion: drums = necessary

There's nothing like double kicks :D

19. Sure there is. Headaches, for one.

20. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    In country music, it used to be anathema to use a drummer... Honky Tonk stuff and before... I think Tex Ritter was one of the first to use a drummer (like the High Noon soundtrack) though I could be wrong about that. I know many Western Swing style bands from the late 30s and 40s had drummers, but that's more formal dance music.

Spacemen 3 did pretty well without a drummer, but that's drugged out psychedelic music so anything goes really.