Are EBAY members trying to Play me

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fire-Starter, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    So I bid no this MTD-6 and lost, kool,,then I get a message from a member named FDOMS stating

"The seller has issued this Second Chance Offer because either the winning bidder was unable to complete the transaction or the seller has duplicate items for sale"

Than I get another emai from a user name SYDLAND52.. and his comment

"You expressed interest in an item titled *** Michael Tobias MTD 635-24 USA Custom Made Bass Guitar ***Item number: 7348319127 by bidding, however the auction has ended with another member as the high bidder. In compliance with eBay policy, the seller is making you this Offer. The seller has issued this Second Chance Offer because the winning bidder
    was unable to complete the transaction."

Here is a pic of the bass

looks pretty fishy :meh: :mad:
  2. Hmmm....sounds like you should let it go!! huh?:meh:
  3. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Scam. Run like the wind.
  4. BullCityBass

Jun 14, 2005
    Durham, NC
    sounds normal to me, the seller has been a member for about a year with perfect feedback. Crap happens, people back out of paying when they win auctions... so the logical thing to do for the seller is to use the "second chance offer" which offers the item to the next high bidder in line.

Now I am not telling you to go for it, but I am giving you my opinion that I think this is a normal procedure and the seller looks pretty legit. There is nothing that makes it look fishy.

5. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA

That's all well and good, but neither of the second chance offers actually came from the seller of the auction. :meh:

Run far away. Or, if you want to just throw your money away, send it to me. I'll make sure it gets a good home.
  6. That is called "Spoof Email" ......Report it to ebay. I had it happen to me several times.
  7. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Never go along with these things. Even if they are legit, they are still for the most part looking to circumvent E-Bay's fees. I've also seen were some people will bid up their own item to well above what it's actually worth (with a bogus ID of course), then claim to the next higher bidder that the winner bailed and offering to sell it to them for their highest bid, which of course was higher than it should have been since they were bidding against the owner.
  8. girlsaremean41

girlsaremean41 Banned

Jul 17, 2005
    Lancaster, PA
    If you don't get an option from e-bay to "buy it now" for the second chance offer price..........then it's a scam. Go into your e-bay summary page and see if there are any second chance offers for you, if not report it.
  9. they could have had a friend bidding against you to jack up the price and then ended up with the highest bid.
  10. Fire-Starter

Aug 11, 2002
    I see and agree with what you are saying and
    I have no problem with the seller giving someone a second chance, red flags went up when I got tow emails from what appears to be two seperate people offer me a second chance :meh:
  11. Bassconbeatz

Bassconbeatz Way down low Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Porter Ranch, CA
    Definitely a scam. I get these all time via Email. I like the ones where they tell you that someone's been bidding using your Ebay account, and your asked to go to a site to confirm account information. Someone alway going for a quick buck. Just beware.

12. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer, Builder
    I bid on a Smith last night and was outbid. So then today I got an e-mail somewhat similar stating to contact at a direct e-mail not via ebay, but that the buyer had issues and backed out and that I could buy it for my high bid. It too sounded fishy so I went to the ebay auction that had ended and messaged the seller from there and asked him about the e-mail I got. He replied that it must be a scam and that as far as he knew everything was still smooth with the transaction. So the scammers are contacting peope that have bid on an item and making it look like a legit massage via ebay when its really a scam. Somewhat like the paypal scams.
  13. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    E-mail the seller directly and ask if that is him.
  14. Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    That's called shill bidding and ebay strictly prohibits it.
  15. Fire-Starter

Aug 11, 2002
    ok, I did sent the seller a email regarding if this was true or not, I am waitin on a reply, it does not matter at this point really, I am so uncomfortable with the whole thing and my gut says STAY AWAY. It makes me really angry when people try to steal from others just because they think they can. :spit: :mad:

I could send the offenders a virus email, but that would not be very Christian like, now would it? :cool: WWJD

Thanks for all of your responses people, I Really apprciate it!
  16. jnightmare

May 12, 2004
    Carson, CA
    i didnt read everyones response but ive sold many things on ebay. and i notice there is an option for you to offer a second chance offer to the next highest budder.
  17. "...I can't believe it's not budder..." :D
  18. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    You'll recognize a legit second chance offer.... you can only get one IF YOU ACTUALLY BID ON THE ITEM... but the one you got..... scam e-mail. Toss it and keep lookin...