Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Are Ed Roman Lowrider Basses a Good Deal?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Aug 24, 2004.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    From time to time I check out Ed Roman's Guitars cite and he really brags about his Lowrider Basses. He turns me off by putting down others, but I want to know if his basses are any good?

2. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I have no direct experience with Ed or his basses, but I do know one thing:

There are a lot of people who make basses and all of them will brag about their products and tell you how good they are. However very few of them will publically put down other brands.

Personally, i'd rather not having anything to do with supporting an $$$ clown like that.

3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I've head his instruments are overpriced. Then again, there's no garauntee you're not getting a retopped PRS :spit: .

4. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    My only advice to you is stay far away from Ed Roman.

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I don't care if the basses play like liquid Jesus dipped in butter and greased with lightning sauce, there's just no excuse for dealing with the man.

6. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    +1

7. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI
    I asked the same question some time ago and never got a direct answer about the quality of his instruments, the only thing I heard was stay away from him and had to listen to everyone cut him down. I'm not saying I disagree with everyone here because Ed does act like quite an idoit for a businessman but, it would be nice to know from first-hand experience what his instruments are like.

8. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    With so many choices from so many good people who build basses, Ed Roman should never be a consideration.

9. Going by his rep, I'll never know if they are good or bad.

I'll find something else, think about what customer service you'll get if you have a problem with his stuff !

10. vacman

vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    I would rather buy a Squire P bass with a broken neck then ever deal with that guy....gee, I wonder how I really feel? :spit:

11. You cant really ever know what his instruments are like unless you:

Commit to buying one
    Come in with money
    Look like you are a serious buyer with serious skill
    Are a rockstar

I live in vegas and have visited ed romans shop many a time and i dont think hes quite sane. He is a business man but he had an old SWR ST-220 with missing faders and very old and used looking and was trying to get 399 for it and these things dont go used in mint condition for more than 250 really (to my knowledge as i got one shipped to my door for 190$) Well he refused to go down on price so i dropped that thought. I havent had the experience to play his stuff because i cant affort what he offers and dont know anyone who has ever used or bought one. The reason he does this is he dosnt want idiots to mess his expensive gear up but if no one can play then how can anyone buy? That said he is a true businessman and was nice to me as i was a possible customer, but if you get on his bad side he is an a-hole i know this from a friends experience. So maybe Adrian can tell us what his basses are like i think he may have tried them before if my memory serves me right if not sorry guys it could either be god in a bass or more overhyped BS.

-Vince

P.S. is any of you are in vegas at all stop by there is is really amazing the amount of guitars and basses he has.(guitars outnumber basses about 20:1 but still)He has built up quite an amazing place. Also theres a 2 story acoustic room which is pretty cool and he makes all his gutiars/basses at the store and i got a tours of the shop which was cool. They put out about 3 guitars a day and on average sell 60 guitars/basses a week, thats alot of money especially for what he asks for them.

12. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    <fingers in ears-yelling loudly> :rollno:
    BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH I'M NOT LISTENING TO YOU I'M NOT LISTENING TO YOU BLAH BLAH BLAH

13. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    :eyebrow:

14. Jugghaid

Jugghaid

Jun 28, 2002
    Denver, CO, USA
    I almost bought a Warrior Soldier from him at a killer price about a year ago. Then I decided I couldn't live with myself if I ever gave him $.

15. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    It a thread about Ed Roman.

16. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    ^^ He makes a good point.

17. mark beem