Are Elixer's worth the money?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Guss, Jun 30, 2004.

1. So I was cruisin along in our local music shop and noticed that all the strings for bass were priced at around 25.00. I get to a set of elixers and they are like twice as much. Are they really worth it? I've been playing for two years since then and i've always wondered what the deal was. Given the effects of the amp, preamp, pickups, and correct playing techiniques, can a flashy set of strings really make enough difference to be worth that much money?
  2. Muhwi

Jun 8, 2004
    The thang of the Elixirs is their durability. I've had mine on my bass for more than 4 months and they still sound good as new. I mean exactly like new. I've heard of people being able to keep a set of Elixirs for years without major loss of sound. Any "normal" set of strings I've tried usually dies after less than 2 months of intense playing, I'd have to be thinkin of getting a third set of strings around now had I not bought the Elixirs.

Here in Finland strings are damn expensive: a normal set may cost, say, 40€ and a set Elixirs around 70€ Let's say the Elixirs are at least three times as durable as a normal set, are they worth their price? You do the math :smug:
  3. bassx

Apr 10, 2002
    N FW, TX
    What he said!

I played elixers for several years. I could easily go 7-9 months before changing the strings. They simply DO NOT DIE.

HOWEVER, I recently decided to switch to a different string because now I am in a band that plays faster, more aggressive music and I found myself playing with a plectrum full time. The coating does NOT hold up nearly as well to picking as it does to fingering. :meh: I still loved the tone, but the fuzzy strings were just an eyesore.

So far the DRs HiBeams seem to be treating me pretty well...
  4. Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    True they don't die easily, and so on, but the thing is right out of the package, they already sound a little dead. They keep their starting tone for a long time, but their starting tone is not super-bright. Personally, I doubt I'll ever use anything else, but then I'm not a fan of a zingy tone, myself.