Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Are EMGs worth it?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by SuperDuck, Apr 11, 2001.

1. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    BEFORE you tell me to go and do a search on EMGs and fretless basses, I DID, and nothing particularly helpful came up, otherwise I wouldn't start this thread.

I have a MIM Fedner Fretless Jazz, and until I got the moolah to get the bass I really want, I'm upgrading a few things on the jazz. First, the bridge went, and now the pickups. There's a little play on the E tuning key so I might put in a Hipshot detuner...

ANYWAY back to my question, I want more clarity on my bass; it's kinda muddy, without a lot of output (and, of, course, it hums like a mother). That may also have to do with my amp, but that's a debate for another time. I would really like to have more high end, to articulate my fretlessness better, and apparantly that's what EMGs are good at. I'm not really interested in getting a "vintage" sound, so I'm figuring the modern-sounding active EMGs are what I'm looking for. My other choices would be the DiMarzio dp129 Ultra Jazz pickups, or Aero. Oh, and i've read BP's J pickup shoot-out before, so you don't need to refer me to that, either.

2. Well if you're looking for a nice punchy modern tone, then EMGs are worth it. They sound good to me and can really help cut through a thick mix. I actually used to have Fender MIM 5 string and eventually replaced the stock pu's with some EMGs. All I can say is that they made that bass come alive, but too bad it had to go 'cuz of the B.

3. I'd search this board and have a look at the Bassplayer J shootout if I were you....

4. Sorry. Being silly.

My advice is to go out and buy some then try them and tell us what you think. Coz I am interested too.

:)

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    They're worth every penny!!!!!

6. I'll second that.

7. Taurus

Taurus

Feb 2, 2001
    I've really only heard good things about the EMG's but you do have to realize that by the time you get all the parts and "accessories" needed for them to be at their active best,you've laid out a lot of money.I was looking at getting EMG's until I found out what it would cost to get "the works".

8. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    What do you mean "the works"? What is expensive (i.e. how much money?)

9. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    While I don't really care for EMG's pickups very much, I can say that the new EMG preamp that Curbow just installed in my Int'l Petite are absolutely amazing with the Bart pickups (of course, everyone knows Bart pickups suck, right, Berklee Boy?). It is 18V with blend, treble, bass and a sweepable mid. The cool thing is that the preamp has a trim pot for the input from each pickup, so you can adjust the gain if you need more/less. To have it installed, and the new battery compartment punched in the back of the bass, and new knobs...heh, heh..I said knobs...it ran about $250-ish. I don't know the exact price since he also did some repairs. The bass is crystal clear with TI Jazz Flats, and has headroom for days.

So, if you are skepitcal about EMG pickups, perhaps think about just the preamp with the pickups you already have.

10. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    EMGs are actuially cheaper than many other replacement pickups (cheaper then Fender CS Jazz pickups, for example). You don't NEED the EQ modules, the basic setup of two pickups (active) with the passive tone control works just fine. Hooking them up is super simple, they are prewired with pots and jack included.

11. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    My first-hand experience with bass EMGs is a bit distant at the moment - a close relative has a Hugh Manson custom fretless (yum!) with EMGs and I've played a number of original Steinbergers over the years that had 'em. I get my hands on the Manson every few weeks, and have tried to slip it under my coat each time.

The Manson is impressive enough that I'm now in the process of upgrading one of my Steinie Spirits to EMG (a pair of EMG-HBs and a BTC, all at 18v). At $80 for each pickup including top-quality pots and $60 for the BTC, why is this too expensive? Barts ain't cheap, either...