Are ERBs addicting?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by l0calh05t, Jan 1, 2005.

1. Yes

9 vote(s)
  2. No

7 vote(s)
  1. What do you guys think? Are extended range basses addicting?

My main instrument is a four-string, but recently I got a five-string fretless, and although I believe that I don't need more than 4 strings suddenly five-string basses seem very appealing to me and just yesterday I was thinking "why 5 if i could have 6..."

(I think this is my first poll :p )
  2. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Why 6, if you could have 7, 8... 9?
  3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Definitely. I've played my teacher's six a few times, and I can't get enough of the sixers!
  4. Those are too big... although i used to say the same about 6ers... and i would never need those high notes... or would i.... dammit :p
  5. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    :D, yeah. I guess I could imagine having a 7, but over that is way too big, IMO.
  6. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    They arent addicting for me. I bought a 5 string once, sold it 9 months later. Just never got into the B string idea. Im most comfortable on a 4 string. I dont like the way a B string feels either and i think thatd keep me from really liking a 5 string bass.
  7. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I'm not much for ERBs...don't like havin a whole street for a neck...>_<
  8. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I definitely became addicted to the feel of a 6'er, and I'm on the hunt for one now. I like 4's, and oddly enough, 5's are starting to feel foreign to me. Must be something about having an odd number of strings...
  9. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Played a 7 for a whole year, sold it, got a 4 string temp bass, impressions? Better tone, worse feel, my playing is smoother on large necked basses, a thin neck feels bad now, I cant seem to get comfortable, its like holding a pencil! 9 string on the way should cure that :)
  10. Dude, how about 23 string basses? Are those even more addicting?

Come on, when I went to see Victor Wooten play, he used a four-string. When I saw Scott Ambush play he used a four-string. Etc.

Personally I don't find ERBs addicting. In fact, I prefer four-string basses.
  11. I've always been facinated with ERBs. I've played a couple sixers at the local music store and was lovin it. My next bass will more than likely (99.999999999%) be a Conklin GT7.
  12. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Not really. I have a 4 string Spector and a 6 string Jerzy Drozd. The 6 is amazing for it's own, as is the 4. I switch back and forth quite happily.

After playing a 6 for 2 years, believe it or not, many 6s still feel weird and too big to me.
  13. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Not in the long run.

I have a GT-7, and that was my only bass for almost three years. Just recently though, I bought a MIM fretless Jazz and am beginning to love that too. I play both equally in my band, but I almost prefer the Jazz because I don't feel like I have to worry about it as much; also, it plays a bit more easily than the seven for long periods of time.
  14. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    get a piano, numbnuts.
  15. elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi

Well. Sort of. The Extra Range is addictive - but in the form of ERB it inherets some physical obstacles in terms of playability and navigation.

Extended Range (to me) is sort of like freedom, freedom to be able to go where you want. Taking the old well-known paths is nice and comfortable, but another part of me likes to explore and find new areas and new possibilities. Once I have tasted that freedom, I want more (so I guess you could call it an addiction...). It is, however, good to be able to go "home" once in a while to get the new territory in perspective.
  16. Uhmm... yeesss....

As I said, I know that a four string is enough and i can do pretty much anything I need on a four string

Actually I already have one but it doesn't have any strings (digital) :p
    Besides I can't play piano that well, and a piano is a wee bit more difficult to transport than a 6 or even 9 string bass.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, of course if it becomes unplayable because you decided you want 15 strings (and not on a tapping instrument, where it still might work) it's not that great, but you can have too much of anything (even water and oxygen can kill you)
  17. oversoul

Feb 16, 2004
    Your final sentence loses all individuality when you say something like "he plays it, that one plays it," So what?You can only play what the "cool kids" play?

"Follow the herd, Follow the herd...."
  18. oversoul

Feb 16, 2004
    Sorry but that would be even harder to get on a strap!! :D
  19. oversoul

Feb 16, 2004

Elros, I take it you say this because you mentioned a while back that you listerud turned out quite heavy, something you can always revise in the future with a new design man, keep that in mind :cool: