1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Are Ernie Ball Slinkies pure nickel or nickel wound?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I've put some Slinkies on my new Dingwall, and they are really chewing up the frets. I thought they were pure nickel, and didn't think they'd destroy my frets this fast. I can't seem to find any info on the web, so my question is:

Are Slinkies nickel coated or pure nickel?

2. Nighthawk551

Nighthawk551

Jan 3, 2007
    Indiana
    Sweetwater Sound
    I'm fairly sure they're nickel coated. I've played them for a while, and I've found that they are rough for nickel strings.

3. NPS = nickel plated steel.

4. Sheldon D.

Sheldon D. Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 3, 2001
    IIRC Pyramid makes an all nickel string. Double check that before dropping coin on a set.

Keep in mind fret wear looks worse on diagonal frets than perpendicular ones.

5. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    Fender and Rotosound make pure nickel strings, too.

Both excellent, in my experience.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021