Are Essex basses worth it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Figjam, Oct 20, 2003.

1. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I am considering buying an essex bass. I am looking at getting a fretless P bass style one, for 2 reasons. 1) i want a fretless 2) i want a p bass. Simple enough? I only have 160 dollars right now and i am planning on buying an effects pedalboard also. I know Essex basses are really cheap, and i have heard rather good thingd about them. Is there anything that is generally bad about them, that i should know about?
  2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Search for the Essex Megathread...that should keep you busy reading for a while.
  3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yea i read that before making this post :)
  4. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Yes they are worth it.
  5. I bought the same fretless P-bass because I wanted a) a fretless that b) was a P-bass. Aside from a slight quirk with intonation, I would highly recommend that bass. It looks great, feels great, sounds great, customer service is great. I also posted in the Essex Megathread shortly after receiving my bass.
  6. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Do you have any pics of this bass?
  7. I just posted a picture of my gear in the "Show me your amps/basses" threads at the top of the Basses and Amps forums. It has my Essex, my Fender P and Fender J.
  8. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Worth it? It's not like they are hugely expensive. IMO they are a good value.
  9. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ive read a lot of people saying they changed the intonation when they got their Essex. What exactly did they change about it?
  10. When I get a new bass or guitar, I like to do my own set-up - check the truss rod, string height, intonation. I think that when I bought my Essex, I changed the string height...which means I had to reset the intonation to accommodate the adjustments I made.

In retrospect, I wouldn't have changed the set-up at all because when it came out of the box, it was perfect. I just messed it all up and created a bit of a headache for myself.
  11. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    When you lower strings, in which way do you have to adjust the intonation?
  12. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Also, i have read that quite a few people had to shield the electronics on their Essex. Is this a huge problem?
  13. whichever way your tuner tells you to. You should be using an electric tuner anyways to get it as exact as possible.:bassist:
  14. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Knew that. Thought he was talkin bout something else...
  15. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    I'm not sure everyone here is on the same page as far as what adjusting the intonation means... the link in my signature to the Newbie FAQ explains it.

As for my Essex, I suppose I will be one of the few dissenters that I'm not crazy about it. The action was so bad I had to file down the nut AND shim the neck, and I still can't get it set up correctly. Not matter how I adjust it, I get fret buzz and a dead note at the 15th fret on the D string and the 16th at the A string. My bridge pickup went microphonic and had to be replaced. And, the bass weighs 12 pounds. More of a headache than I anticipated. :meh: This was the Jazz bass w/maple neck that was offered a while ago, with the see-through sunburst finish.
  16. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Yeah, totally man.
  17. Clef360 answered your intonation follow-up pretty much as I would have.

As for shielding, I haven't noticed a need for it. The other people who needed shielding probably had a jazz bass and were soloing pickups.
  18. I actually had a lot of problems with my essex p-bass buzzing, so I had to shield the pickup cavity. No more buzz!:p
  19. I'm an Essex wholesaler/importer, and consequently have cartons full of them on the warehouse floor. For a laugh, I pulled out all the Jazz basses and compared them. I checked setup, fretwork, quality of the wood used in the neck, and in the fingerboard, the quality of the wood used in the body, and the quality of the finish on the sunburst models.
    Every one of them was worth the money.
    None had any flaws worth worrying about.
    Some are better than others.
    Dont buy the first one you see, check out a bunch of them, and pick the best one. If your local dealer does'nt have much of a stock of them, go to one who does. It's not that you will get a bad one, just that some are better than others.
  20. 12notes

Jul 15, 2003
    I have an Essex fretless P. Lovely bass.

Yes I shielded it. But I am using it to record single bass solos. So, absolute silent is most important.

I also reset the action, intonation to my preferences. I like high action with heavy strings on all my guitars. And tuned to BEAD. But it plays just fine out of the box. Even without the shielding.

Fits and finishes are beautiful as well.

Get it. It's well worthed.