1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Are Essex SX and Fender necks interchangeable?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pjmuck, Mar 12, 2010.

1. pjmuck

pjmuck

Feb 8, 2006
    New Joisey
    Sorry if this has been posted before, but I tried to do a search and the amount of Essex(SX) info here is exhausting.

Simple question: I'm looking to buy one of the $99 Essex Jazz basses and replace the neck with a fretless Warmoth one I have on hand. The Warmoth is to the same specs as a Fender Jazz. Are the neck dimensions/heel and heel body routes consistent with a Fender?

2. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    This topic has indeed been covered a lot. I've seen a few people say that Mighty Mite necks fit. I think one person said that a Squier neck fit. I've also heard that sometimes the stock neck from one SX bass won't fit another SX bass (!)
    I believe the common situation is that the heel of an SX neck is bigger than your standard Fender (Warmoth, Allparts, etc.) neck pocket. So, an SX neck can be sanded to fit into a Fender body, but it's a loose fit the other way around.

3. lupini

lupini

Sep 16, 2009
    yes I've had a Sx Jazz body with a AllPart's precision neck
    but of course the best thing you can do is measure the bass body cavity and
    the neck you want to use.

4. it really depends.. there is some variation between SX basses themselves, so it's kinda the luck of the draw. i put a warmoth neck on on of my SXs and it fit perfect but for the depth, i had to stick a fairly large shim in there to get the action right.

5. The neck heels are a bit larger on the SX basses, so you'll probably end up with a little bit of a gap on one side or the other of the neck. If you've had your neck installed before the screw holes most likely won't line up either..of course.

6. Raw N Low

Raw N Low If I can't hear it, hopefully I'll feel it Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Denver, Colorado
    This is a good topic. I wanna upgrade the neck on my ash SX. I was never really hot about it to begin with as I want a way better maple neck with block inlays.

7. here is how i look at it: you buy a cheap SX.. it's 109 bux, big whoop. you want to upgrade the neck with something from warmoth or mighty mite? go for it, i reckon you've got at least a 50% chance that it will fit fine, or with a little adjustment; no biggy either way, it's a hundred dollar bass. if it doesn't fit you can just wait it out, save up some more money and buy a replacement body.

8. I put a MIA Fender JP-90 neck onto an SX 57 P-bass. The holes lined up just fine. There was a gap on one side of the neck, but it's not like the SX neck fit great either. The SX neck is taller than the Fender, so shimming would have been a good call. Instead, I took all the set screws out of the bridge saddles and the action was close enough.

The real problem was that I had to also drop the P pickup, and that left me with nowhere to anchor my thumb. It was playable, but it caused a lot of tension in my right arm.

9. SamTheButcher

SamTheButcher Yis, actually. Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Charlotte NC
    In my experience, the SX necks are thicker (taller from the fretboard to the back of the neck heel) than a Fender neck. In other words, a typical SX body has a deeper neck pocket than a Fender body.
    I can't say for all, but I've also recently found that Essex P necks are wider at the heel than Essex Jazz necks. I wanted to put a bound and blocked SX Jazz neck on an SX P body; the holes actually lined up but there were gaps on both sides. Each neck in the body it belonged to fit pretty snug. Butting them together showed about a 16th of a inch or so difference. Couldn't get the P neck in the J body.

10. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Midtown Guitars: Ulyate Pickups & StringJoy Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    search man...for the love of god and everything that is right and holy....search.

answer: sometimes. mostly no.

11. pjmuck

pjmuck

Feb 8, 2006
    New Joisey
    Dude, there are 10,000 frickin' threads about Essex up here (And another 10,000 under "SX"). I did my best to search, but somehow couldn't find enough hours in my day to sift threw thousands of posts to find my question/answer. Thanks for the advice, though.:rolleyes:

12. nomadh

nomadh

Feb 6, 2008
    I believe you tried to search. It can be impossible on something like this.
    It has been said to work but it seems mostly not. Even between sx's. Surprisingly they seems to be hand fit or so many low bid factories turn them out there is no consistency. They tend to be made so decent I assumed they were all cnc but maybe its more a massive amount nearly free labor sticking things together until something fits <shrug>

13. Craig_S

Craig_S Inactive

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    Answer from me: I bought a SX Jazz body and tried to fit a MIM Fender neck (same specs as American) to it. No go. The neck pocket on the SX is wider than the 2 1/2" Fender heel. There is a noticeable gap. About 1/16" on both sides.

14. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

Fender necks can be made to fit with a little work, but they are not a direct drop in.

15. I had the opposite
    Squier Standard P neck will fit in an SX P body but you will have to sand the heel of the Squier neck to fit

in general:

MM necks fit perfectly on Squier Bodies
    Allparts fit well on MIM and MIA fender bodies
    Warmoth fit well on MIA bodies

but for SXes
    its pretty much a crap shoot I'm afraid

16. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    I have no idea what you mean by "better", but if I were you, I'd be looking for an SJB-75 to try a neck swap. Then again, since '75s seem to come with Ash bodies, maybe you just want the whole bass intact. At any rate, good luck looking for somebody who wants to part with theirs, I sure don't.

http://www.rondomusic.com/sjb75.html
    http://www.rondomusic.com/sjb75cnat.html
    http://www.rondomusic.com/sjb75ct3ts.html

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 4, 2020