Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Are expensive basses better than cheaper?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Davidoc, Mar 12, 2002.

1. I was at guitar center, and I was playing a Smith right next to a Fender Jazz, and well :( The Jazz murdered the Smith. I don't know what to say.

2. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
  3. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    there you have it- living proof. You heard it yourself.

4. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    And yet, sometimes.

Btw, jazz basses don't represent all cheap basses, and Smiths CERTAINLY don't represent all expensive. Cheaper basses being better than expensive ones is NOT the conclusion I would draw from your preference to jazz basses. Just means you like the jazz more than the KS. Nothing more.

5. Pea-NUT

Pea-NUT

Jul 1, 2001
    Jerseyville, IL
    You get what you pay for.

$0.02

6. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    P -Nut- hopefully , you get what you paid for- ive played bases 1/2 the price of others that blew it away- and the word "better" doesnt that mean " better for me"? in which case- isnt it different for everyone then? what i meant was- hey, you liked the J better- isnt that your answer right there?

7. it really depends on the bass

sometimes you can get a really good sounding jazz bass and then right next to it will be a jazz bass that sounds like crap

and guitar center isn't known for setting up their basses. They simply take em out of the box and throw them on the shelf. Most of the time not even tuning them.

And like Angus said, personal preference is also a determiner.

8. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    you know, a search of the archives reveals quite a few threads that you have started seemingly only to try and bait contention. they usually start with some broad, ambiguous and potentially inflaming question which often you answer for yourself in your own post.

why do you do this? are you bored?

:rolleyes:

9. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Just your opinion.. nothing more than that. Some people will say that there bass is better than everyone elses' bass here on TB. to them they could be right. They have the best sounding and playing bass for them.. doesn't mean much.. they just like that bass..

As for me personally. I think Ken smith basses tone wise and playability wise beat out fender jazz basses.. That is just me though... I like my Ray 5 better than many basses i've played.... basses more expensive a what not. Not everyone likes MM basses. that is ok with me... They don't have to play it... thats why its mine... :rolleyes:

10. I would like to know the same thing. But would not have been able to state it the way JT did. So I'm glad he did.

My expensive basses are better than my cheaper ones. If I didn't believe that, there'd have been no reason for me to buy the expensive ones.

11. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
  12. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I think you already did have something to say.

A wino will take a bottle of Thunderbird over a bottle of Mouton Rothschild. It's all a matter of taste and what you're accustomed to. Just like your $30 Washburn that outperforms other basses....to your ears.

Now, if you could explain how or why it murdered the Smith, that might be different.

13. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    AFAIK the GC's around here don't carry Ken Smith basses. I guess it must have been used.

14. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    Funk , I absolutely agree!

15. It really depends on the person playing it.

16. BOOYAH!...haha

You nailed it XavierG!

:)

17. How bleedin' true that is mate! :D

That saying goes for a lot of things, including I'd rather hear a good musician on an 8-track than a bad one in THX.

I've tried a $3200 bass at my local store, just to hear if it really was better than my monkey-wrenched Saturn cheapie. I was soooooooo afraid of damaging it, I couldn't even do a decent walkdown.

For me, psychologically anyway, I'll play what doesn't scare the fingerboard off of me :D :D :D

18. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    A bass "murdering" another bass... Seems a non-sense to me. Sure, a $6000 Sadowsky is probably "better" than a $200 Cort, but the notion of "better" bass is mostly a matter of who plays what with what.

Billy Sheehan playing a $200 Cort will probably sound better than a very beginner on a $6000 Sadowsky.

But what makes the sound, and, finally, the music, is that kind of fusion between the player and the instrument. They drive each other.

The only universal answer I think is possible is : "Get what you love and can afford". But be careful with customer service : it is a very important element, and the most expensive basses are not always those you'll have the best service with.

All the best,

19. Well, the Smith sounded good; it had a nice, warm tone, but not really much to it, just a nice warm sound. The jazz on the other hand had this attack and growl that sounded so good.

Sorry if alotta my posts sound like flame bait. Not my intention, just sharing a funny experience.