Are Factory strings good? or do I need new ones?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by David_Swan, Jul 17, 2001.

1. David_Swan

Jul 15, 2001
    PR MN
    I got a Washburn Xb100 about a week ago. Sould I get new strings on It or not? Im a begginer so I dont know what good strings sound like. Did you get new ones?
  2. Hi David,

Since you are a beginner, I would say - stick with the strings that came with the bass.

The sound of a bass is a very subjective thing, and until you find the sound you would like to achieve, stick with the strings on the instrument. Once you find the "sound" you want, then you should look for the strings that will best help you achieve that sound. In the meantime, your time is best spent learning the instrument.

Have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

My comments are on the same theme Herm is talking about.

If the sounds your bass sounds good to you, there's no reason to change the strings. Just because Herm or myself might try your bass and think your strings should go, that doesn't mean you should automatically change them.

Bottomline, what I'm saying is, don't worry about "keeping up with the Joneses."

Believe me, in due time, you will get pickier and pickier about strings when you hear this sound in your head and your present strings won't get it for you.....and your wallet will know it.
  4. Here's a simple quiz.

Do the strings sound good?

If your answer is yes...then don't replace them.

If your answer is no...then replace them.