1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Are Fender 7250L Strings Any Good ?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Bubble, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Bubble

Bubble

Apr 17, 2013
    LV-426
    Do Fender 7250L strings last very long ?
    Do they leave black residue on the fingers ?
    And I tried but couldn't find any example of what they would sound like on a Yamaha TRBX174EX.

2. Depends on what kind of tone you're after. If you crave for the bright zingy tone of fresh rounds, they may not last. But if you can live with the "broken-in" tone of NPS rounds, then they're not too bad for the price.

Make sure to give them a thorough wipe-down with a soft dry cloth before installation. Also, black residue on the fingers could be a case of your skin chemistry reacting with nickel.

Their tone is fairly generic and middle-of-the-road, similar to D'Addario XL Nickels. A good starter for a basic PJ like the TRBX174.

3. TimB 619

TimB 619 Guest

May 28, 2010
    They are a good string. They're made by D'addario, and they're not too expensive.

4. Bubble

Bubble

Apr 17, 2013
    LV-426
    After playing Rotosound 40 - 95's , these 45 - 105's are like crane cables. Outrageous pressure needed. That's what comes on the TRBX174EX. I went back to my old old LB-40 after playing the TRBX a bit, it has the Rotosound Swing 66 40 - 95's and it is soooo much like a slinky guitar, nice and easy. Plus it has that antique of centuries atmosphere I feel when I watch the bassist in ZZ Top's Rough Boy video. I thought it was funny but a very good lesson in how a well used guitar can be better than a brand new one.

5. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    Surprisingly good. Worth the try.

nolezmaj, rugrat and Root 5 like this.
  6. Root 5

Root 5

Nov 25, 2001
    Canada, eh!
    They're a good, decent string. Nothing to fear.

rugrat and Bassist30 like this.
  7. Bubble

Bubble

Apr 17, 2013
    LV-426
    I was hoping to hear that. I'm going to try some but at least replace some frets from 7 - 8 years of heavy playing, mainly fifth and below on all four. When I get low, I get high ! That's a song BTW.
    Here, I'll save ya the trouble of looking it up.

8. winterburn69

winterburn69

Jan 27, 2008
    Saskatchewan
    What do you mean by "very long"?

I've never had any black residue and I've been using them for a few years. I really like them. Accidentally bought pure nickel last time, don't like those.

Bassist30 and rugrat like this.
  9. Bubble

Bubble

Apr 17, 2013
    LV-426
    The coal black fingers came from the import strings that came on my Yamaha TRBX174EX, and darn do I have to take a photo of everything ? This one I should have.
    The rest of the TRBX is pretty good although the extremely strong neck makes it difficult to set the neck relief.
    I was hoping the 7250L strings would not have that problem, charcoal fingers. Maybe oxide or slough from an inferior string plating process.

10. Bubble

Bubble

Apr 17, 2013
    LV-426
    One good thing about 40 - 95's, they are fine wound and don't make much string squeak. But they may dig into the frets sooner than fat strings. The fat strings I find, are more accurate in fingering but the smaller gauge seem faster.

11. Bubble

Bubble

Apr 17, 2013
    LV-426
    Ok problem found on the factory strings, the plating was not done well, it is coming off the outer winds so bady that in about a week I have worn it down to copper in the plucking area.
    I'm very confident the Fender 7250L's will be much better plated.

12. Yes. They're actually manufactured by D'Addario, who's known for their consistent QC.

Bassist30 likes this.
  13. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    I like the 7250ML. To me they sound just right for a roundwound.

rugrat, Bassist30 and FenderHotRod like this.
  14. rob_thebassman

rob_thebassman

Jul 26, 2010
    Normanton, UK
    playing bass since 2005
    I like the 7250ml :)

15. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    I have just recently put them on my bass.
    So far I really like them.

16. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Based on what I can find online, Dusty uses GHS ML5000 BASS SUPER STEELS, .044 - .102

17. Bubble

Bubble

Apr 17, 2013
    LV-426
    I do like very much, the Rotosound Swing 66 40 - 95's for the very fine round wind. They make very little string squeak. I'll try a pack of 7250L or 5250XL. 0.095 E string is not doing bad at all for low end on the rig I'm using. A Marshall IBS 200 on top of an Ampeg BSE115T (with new OEM woofer) has more than enough low end.
    I have another amp, a BA210-V2 I can use it with also.

18. 7250L = Long Scale.
    5250XL = Short Scale.

19. Bubble

Bubble

Apr 17, 2013
    LV-426
    Thanks, I didn't catch that. I was wondering about a nickel-steel equivalent to the RS66LC.
    Closest thing I found on the quick is GHS L3045X.
    I'll bet the 7250L's will be just fine.
    Since I am now playing on 2 1/2 fingers, after Friday I may have two fingers and a recovery period before four fingers and a magic thumb, I should have time to look this string thing over.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
  20. GHS L3045 Boomer 40-55-75-95 set is the best tension-balanced set I've seen.

If you want to try them, make sure it's "L3045" (Long Scale) and not "L3045X" (Extra Long Scale).

Bubble likes this.