Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

are fender basses good for rock?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassist 4 life, Sep 25, 2004.

1. Im planning on buying a bass, ive been playing for a year now. Ive looked for some basses and i came across a fender bass, its pretty cool, i didnt play it though, the only prolbem is i play rock/hard rock, and im just wondering if fenders are good for that type of music heres the bass :

http://www.music123.com/Fender-Zone-Bass-i47120.music?t=4

help me plz :confused:

2. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Well, if you consider Led Zeppelin and Iron Maiden to be rock/hard rock, I'd say that bass would work for you.

Oh, and about 80% of every other rock/hard rock recording has used Fender basses. You should be ok.

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    The zone basses are very cool and very flexible. They are also light, so you can play longer without having shoulder strain. Definitely a good rock bass, just remember that you have a 3 band EQ on board that thing, so you can get a big range of tones.

4. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Is a frog's butt water-tight? :D

Yes, Fenders will work fine for hard rock, IMHO.

5. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Are Fender basses good for rock? Are 7 string basses pointless? Heck yeah Fender basses are good for rock.

6. mattmcnewf

mattmcnewf

May 27, 2004
    list bands that u listend too

7. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    So far fender basses have been "good" for rock for over 50 years. Think about it. :bassist:

8. z4knerd

z4knerd

Jul 1, 2004
    check out ESP basses :oops: but im sure fender will work just fine

9. Fender basses made rock!! The fender bass was way more important than the fender guitar! Imagine if they still used upright basses for rock?! It just wouldn't have worked!

10. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma

now let's remember the rules about making fun of ERB's or there basses. IMO 4 strings are useless. feel like toys but i still play them.

Bassist 4 life, you seem like a beginner. yes Fenders defined rock and pretty much every other bass/bassist in existence. FI, jaco influenced a hell of a lot of players with his playing, o and what did he play, the Fender jazz of course!

I also heard good reviews about the Fender Dimension basses.

11. Blademaster Dez

Blademaster Dez

May 12, 2004
    A few more examples: Duff McKagan relies on Fender Jazz Bass Specials and his roster includes Guns & Roses and Velvet Revolver. Can't get more 'hard rock' than that. (I remember that he tried Stingrays for a short time, but when a battery went dead on a gig he decided to never use an active-electronics bass again.)

Martin Mendez of the metal band Opeth uses a Fender Jazz bass.

Doesn't Timmy C (Rage Against the Machine, Audioslave) use a Fender P?

When it comes to 4-strings, Fender has some excellent basses. I'm not fond of their ERB's though. I'd say no to Fender when recommending a 5 string or more.

12. Yeah, Tim C uses fenders, but im pretty sure he uses mostly Jazz basses instead of P-basses. I always dig the jazz growl for rock, myself... but having a P pickup to blend in some low-end punch is always nice. You cant go wrong with a good, solid PJ bass.

The Fender you picked is very versatile... a good all around bass, for all kinds of rock. A really good choice, IMHO.

13. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    Is this a trick question? :eyebrow:

14. demolition

demolition Guest

Jul 5, 2003
    Conn.
    Please tell me this is a joke? PLEASE ? someone? threads like this are sooooooooooooo sad,even if one was living in a cave this would not be a plausable question,and even worse he got real answers :meh:

15. Hmm...

Don't fall victim to slick marketing.

Just 'cause Fenders today look exactly the same as they did 50 years ago, doesn't mean they don't rock or can't handle the the tonal demands of todays metal or rock...as if today's metal is any better than '70's Sabbath. Uh, I don't think so. IMO.

Here's a short list of some rockers that play Fender basses:
    The Strokes, Pearl Jam, Janes Addiction, GnR, AudioSlave, Velvet Revolver, Rage, Green Day, Judas Priest, Led Zeppelin, & if you care Blink 182 & Sum 41 all use or have used Fender Basses.

Oh, and me too. :)

If you get the Fender, definitely try to play the one you're thinking of buying. I played ALOT of Jazz basses before I finally found the one I ended up with. And I'm really glad I didn't buy the first or the second one, for that matter, that I played. They're all pretty and nice to look at but Fenders seem to vary in quality. Not to say that some are bad. I personally have never played a bad Fender bass...BUT some are better than others. Take a friend with you that knows what to look for when buying an instrument.

Take your time.
    Good luck.

16. Rhythmalism

Rhythmalism

Sep 25, 2004
    Fenders rock a little, but other basses are greater :D.

17. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    personally, i don't like that S1 thing. it feels like it takes away all the snap.

18. damn dude :scowl:

the only stupid question is the one not asked ;)

19. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    +1

We were all here at one point. No need to make fun of him, just help him.

Yeah...Fenders are basically what defined rock.

20. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    +10