1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

are fingernails a part of your sound?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by nonsqtr, Apr 20, 2004.

1. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan

Jan 17, 2002
    NorCal
    in regards to nails, i want to get mine shorter than they are now. My index fingernail doesn't grow beyond the tip of my finger (anymore) but my ring and middle fingernails do, is there anyway to push the growth line back?

EDIT: I ask cause it is VERY annoying to have to alter the position of the other fingers just to get a consistent tone.

2. I have to use a little bit of fingernail when I play. I've tried cutting mine really short, but when I try to play, it hurts. Like, really hurts. Maybe its because I don't play long enough with short nails to build up a callous. So yah.. I think there is just a perfect length of nail that allows for great tone and speed. Definately great for harmonics and playing chords.

3. When I was teaching myself bass, I learnded to do fingerstyle, slap, and the Geddy Lee back of the nail thing. Luckily I have very very strong nails, so I've never ripped one, but I have scratched the flesh immediately above the nails to bleeding before and had to keep playing, as it was in the middle of a song. I didn't realize immmediately, either, and covered my strings with blood. How rock star is that! That's about the time I figured out a pick my not be such a bad thing ;) .

4. Pöl

Pöl

May 31, 2003
    Belgium
    Less nails = more FUNK

5. When I keep them very short, I get a warmer & consistent tone. I keep a file in my kit bag for daily filing.

Aloha,

Jonathan

6. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    My fingernails are relatively weak - if I let them get longer, one or other will end up breaking up at the end and so I have to trim then down. Therefore, they vary between short and medium.

You don't actually need much nail to use it as part of the sound but it's not a major component of the set of sounds I normally gravitate towards using.

Wulf

7. alapantera

alapantera

Mar 22, 2004
    Wisconsin
    I like to keep my nails about 1mm in length. that's the perfect lenth for me to do any picking i need. nails are also great for strumming. I don't like to let them get any longer than that or they start interfering with my fingerstyle playing.

8. I started out playing bass using longer nails, which gave me a pick-like sound. However, I was very dissatisfied with my tone, because it sounded harsh and trebly in comparison to my favorite player's tones. One day I realized I couldn't get the fat deep sounds I really wanted unless I shortened my nails and played with the pads of my fingertips. I now keep my nails relatively short but long enough so I can get that pick-like sound if I need to, or play harmonics loudly. For most of my playing now, though, I use NO nail at all.

9. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    god no!! i cut mine as soon as i can hear just a hint of my nail touching the string. i am anti-treble.

10. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    lol !! exactly :)

11. I cant let my nails grow long on my picking fingers. For some reason the combination of bass playing and Pole Vaulting casues bleeding under my finger nails, it hurts like hell. I also keep my nails short because sometimes when they are long i can slip and catch the string with my nail producing a trebbly note out of nowhere

12. No. But they seem to be a part of my sex life. Owch!!