Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Are five-strings evil?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ostinato, Nov 12, 2005.

Are five strings evil?

Poll closed Nov 15, 2005.
  1. Yes

75 vote(s)
    20.9%
  2. No

257 vote(s)
    71.8%
  3. I don't know

26 vote(s)
    7.3%
  1. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    I saw this question posted in another forum and there were some very interesting replies. Let's face it, if you're playing/recording straight ahead funk, rock, or jazz, those five extra notes you had to change your whole technique for have limited applications.
    And for those guys who say they like the convenience of playing an F on the sixth fret on the B, what's wrong with doing it on a four?

So, are five-strings evil?

2. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

5 string is not evil.

3. no ! why should they be ? i don't know a reason why you shouldn't buy one...?

4. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    That's absurd. The way I see it, a five string is a different kind of tool to get a different kind of sound. I like 'em (and 6's) because of the extended range...but 4 's have their place as well.

5. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Inanimate objects are seldom in my experience evil.

6. i agree with you altough i won't buy another 4 or 5 string. I bought my first 6er in august and i'm lovin it ! I think i'm done with 4 and 5 strings...now everytime i play a 4s tring it feels really weird and i just miss the other 2 strings.

7. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Carrots... now those things are evil.

8. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    yeah, I feel ya ChiliPepper... I'm gassin' for a 6 after I had one on "extended tryout" from my out of town cousin. He came back, took his axes and now I really miss that extra string!!!

9. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    ***? No. I have 6 string GAS, I wish all basses had that many strings!

10. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    And yes, if you want to play a 12 bar blues composition transposed into E flat Major then yes that extra string is pretty handy (I hate floppy strings and downtuning). Also, when I tap, I find the higher strings come in handy too.

11. klharper

klharper

Oct 16, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    <cliche>
    JACO only needed four!!!! :bag:
    </cliche>
    ;)

12. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    YES!!!
    [​IMG]

13. fixed it for ya ;) before i bought the 6er i wasn't sure if i should first buy a 5 and then a 6er. most people i asked , suggested me to buy a 5 first. btw here's my 6er

Ibanez BTB 556
    [​IMG]

14. Wolfehollow

Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    Yes! 5 strings are evil...

The goodness of the 4 string will triumph!

15. Defiantly NOT evil.

I certainly would not say I had to change my "whole technique" A little extra muting and adapting the bass lines to utilize the B string is all it takes.

I play mostly R&B, blues, funk, and some rock. The B string comes in handy when used tastefully.

What wrong with a four string? Nothing at all. To each his own. For me, my four string has a Hipshot detuner, a five string is a better option.

16. 1 + that pretty much sums it up. play whatever YOU want to play. It's your money . :)

17. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    EVIL!!!!!
    [​IMG]

18. LOL yeah they are evil :D nino , whould you consider building a 6er someday ?

19. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    The devil has corrupted my soul!!!!!

[​IMG]

20. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    They are not evil as long as they are strung low.

High Fives and basses with six or more strings are evil