Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Are G&L's the white bengal tigers of bass guitars?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Trent-35, Mar 2, 2001.

1. I live in Nashville, TN, and just called all over town trying to find even one G&L, preferable the L2500, to see and play around with in person. Nobody here has ANY G&L's, new and or used! The store here that was a dealer, isn't any longer. What gives? Trent

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    they have a buttload of them over at bassnw.com

they also have a generous return policy, and are very cool guys in general.

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

In addition to what John said, www.basspalace.com has a G&L stable. I was looking at El Toros and Interceptors...trying to decide if they might become collectible.

4. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Are there any Guitar Centers in Nasville? I know the one in Atlanta has some really nice G&Ls for cheap, cheap, cheap. I played a couple on Wednesday before I dropped a grand on a digital 8 track. If I wasn't on a 4-string moratorium, I probably would have picked one up for $510. Not bad.

5. Thanks for the replies guys. I contacted bassnw about a week ago and the quoted me a price. I have bought other basses off the internet sight unseen, a Fender MIM, and a Samick acoustic, but those were not the financial investment a new G&L would be. I have also read on here that G&L's don't hold their resale value especially well. I don't buy stuff with intentions of selling it, but that is a consideration in spending that much $ on a bass i've never played. I've never gigged with one, but i have tried out several Stingray 5's at stores, and they really don't "do it" for me for some reason. Though i admit i never even went so far as to plug one in. They just don't feel like a "friend" when i pick them up. I want a new/used good 5 string. I play country, rockabilly, some rock and blues. Any suggestions? Trent

6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    oh, dude, try the g&l's, seriously. if i could only play a non-custom bass it would be a G&L 2500 w/maple board. they really sound excellent.

7. No Guitar center in Nashville. That's what i've been trying to do, try a G&L, just none in town here to try! lol Trent

8. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

From what I've been reading recently, Nashville is mainly a vintage and custom market. Kind of ironic for a place called, "Music City," ain't it. :rolleyes:

9. Are there any Musicgoround's in the area?? The Musicgoround up here (Madison, WI, so it's quite a bit out of your area.. but I'm guessing most Musicgorounds stock G&Ls) has 2 G&L basses, and a load of G&L guitars. Too bad they don't have any amps of the same quality as the basses.

10. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Once you buy it, you wont want to sell it. G&L are my favorite non custom built bass company. I have an old 84 L-2000 & a mid 90's L-5500 & they're awesome!!! Iv'e sold an L-2500 on eBay for like 850 or so. The only reason I sold it was to pay for my Spector NS-5. (fav bass co.) I gotta sell some stuff when I get anything new or my wife will lock me out the house!!! LOL :)

11. I'm surprised that you can't find them in Nashville. Their ASAT guitars are very popular with session players there.

Why don't you give Dave Pomeroy a call and see if he'll lend you one of his G&L's? He's got a few. :)

12. My L-2500 is the versatile bass I have played, there are so many differant tones.... I love it.....I know if I spend more money on a custom it may sound better, but for now I am happy......

13. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Totally agree with the raves for the L2500. I've got a '99 blueburst with maple neck that is just absolutely a great bass! More tones than you can ever get around to using and plays wonderful. A little on the heavy side but a damn good bass.

14. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Did you buy that bass off eBay?

15. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    Trent ive got a beautiful Fender RB-5 for sale.Dead mint as is the tweed case.750+ship/ins.See my post in the classifieds if your interested.Good luck!

16. smpbass

smpbass

Feb 2, 2001
    Tampa, FL
    Every once in a while Sam Ash will get them in.

17. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Hey...try finding a Schecter bass.....:)

18. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Why would I want to do that? LOL :)

19. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    I suppose, because you might be looking for one. There seems to be quite a few smaller companies, whose basses are difficult to find in local stores. Especially if you only have one, or two stores in your area.

20. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Nosir. Had it ordered from the factory by Buffalo Bros. in Carlsbad, CA back in '99.