1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Are Galien-Krueger MB110s decent amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sean775, May 10, 2015.

1. Sean775

Sean775

Mar 19, 2015
    New Jersey, USA
  2. Just great. I love mine for practicing at home, rehearsals and also small low-volume gigs. Great tone, great volume and even decent lows for its size (using it on the floor and near walls helps!)

3. Sean775

Sean775

Mar 19, 2015
    New Jersey, USA
    GKs are known for brighter tones, right?

4. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    i was playing one today at sam ash, and it sounded good. i wouldn't say it's brighter, exactly, but it does sound good when you dial in a bright sound. it's not a super bassy amp, though.

5. It can sound bright, but you can always shave that top end off...

I would say that "crystal-punchy-clear" defines it better ;)

AstroSonic and tastybasslines like this.
  6. Basically Bob

Basically Bob Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Simcoe, Ontario
    Yes, It's a great little combo.
    I have had mine for quite some time, now, and use it for small gigs, 25 - 50 people, a stage monitor for playing at church 150 people with a drummer running through the board and as a practice amp. If you want a reasonably priced, extremely compact and light weight combo i really don't think that you will be disappointed.

7. Sean775

Sean775

Mar 19, 2015
    New Jersey, USA
    This might sound like a dumb question, but the size of an amp doesn't matter at all, right? Because it looks like my current 15 watt amp is bigger.

8. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    Decent? Yes.

Gotta admit, it is just a bit, yes. Nope, doesn't matter. Otherwise, there'd be no D-Class.

9. walldaja

walldaja

Apr 27, 2011
    GKs had the corner on the market with lightweight bass amps. That is no longer the case with TC Electronics, Peavey, and Fender getting into the lightweight field. While the GK with the single 10 may be good for a small venue having a little more punch (couple of tens and some amps) never hurts. I traded my GK MB115 for a Fender Rumble 500. Liked the sound of two tens vs one fifteen and ability to power another cab. That said, GK amps are good, it's just the field has a few more players on it now.

10. Buzz E

Buzz E Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2014
    San Francisco, CA

That's funny. I sold my Rumble 500 combo and got the MB115 and a powered cab. The newer version II's allow you to power another cab. I lost a little volume when I play the combo by itself but gained way more character and tone.

TonyP- and 1960jbass like this.
  11. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    The size and shape of a speaker cabinet does make a difference. But a lot of science goes into that sort of stuff and a lot of other factors are in play. a smaller speaker box doesn't always mean quieter or less bass.

I play a gk rig with an mb500 head. I think this same circuitry is in all their new combos. It's versatile tone-wise, and I'm pretty sure the combos have a switch to turn off the tweeter if it's too bright.

With only 1 10" speaker it's not going to be very loud but as others have said it should be fine for rehearsals (if your band isn't very loud) and smaller gigs.

12. Clutchcargo

Clutchcargo Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2006
    Southern Illinois
    "And I" said it very well. The MB110 does a fine job at what it's designed for. If your needs are within it's limits you'll be pleased with it. If you're looking for the "miracle micro" I wish you luck. It's a good sounding well designed small combo, Lee......

13. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    $349... yikes !

14. MarkBass has a 50 watt one 8" combo for $499.99. M.F. has the G-K MB110 for $249.99.

Buzz E likes this.
  15. Basically Bob

Basically Bob Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Simcoe, Ontario

+1