Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Are Gallien Krueger 1000RBs really that unreliable?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by phxlbrmpf, Aug 8, 2005.

1. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    I need a new amp for my Warwick 4x10' cab (600 watts, 8 ohms) and might be able to get a used GK 1000RB for 500 Euros, but some of the reviews on Harmony Central seem pretty scary, as most people seem to be describing the 1000RB as a great-sounding amp which likes to crap out on people.
    Is the GK 1000RB really notorious for being an unreliable amp?
    I tried a search, but didn't really find a lot of threads on the 1000RB. What do you think?

2. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    what did you put in your search? type 1001RB. i got 6 pages of posts.

3. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Thanks, but somehow I don't think the 1000RB and the 1001RB are exactly the same amp.

4. i didn't know that a 1000rb existed. i have a 1001rb-II and it is nothing short of amazing.

5. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Sorry Mate !!! :bag: I misread it as a 1001RB. I didn't even know there was a 1000Rb! :bag:

6. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    there is no 1000rb...

do a search for 1001rb-II....mine has been the most reliable thing to me....

7. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
  8. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
  9. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    oooooooohhhhhhhhh, you mean the 1000RB!!! oh, yeah!

;)

:D

i would just get the 1001-II

10. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    tonenazi, read all the posts...

11. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I believe they were all crapping out in an era where the soldering guy was half-assed and often had cold solder joints. If it's survived this long without problems, I'd say this one was assembled on a good day and should provide years of problem-free operation.

12. I hope the GB stuff is better now. Back in the day (80's), they were really the only small, light, loud amp available. I owned one of the first 400rbs, then the 1200 (not many people bought that!), than a couple of the MB150 conbo's... the series I and series II. Every single one of those amps blew up!!!! To be fair, the GK guys did fix them. I always liked the sound (although today theirs lot's better stuff... but back then, they were the only game in town), and I always thought they would 'fix' the problems with the next series they came out with. Oh well :meh: Once other small, loud solid state stuff emerged, I swore to never buy another one again... and I didn't! It sounds like, from some of the reviews I've read recently, they are still up to their old tricks, unfortunately.

13. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Okay, I emailed the seller, asking him how long he's owned the amp and if he ever recalls it messing up. Let's hope they're honest. :D

14. Ive posted this 100 times, and heres 101. The 1001RBs were prone to problems.

The 1001RB-IIs were realeased AFTER they fixed the problem with them.

I have two 1001RB-IIs. They are on the road about 150 days a year, and I have ZERO problems with either of them. One was even dropped (while in its rack) about 5 feet, to hit the ground. Still works.

There arent reliability issues with the new GK stuff. You dont have to take my word for it though.

15. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    I agree.

16. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    On a similar note, the GK 2000RB's were a service nightmare - I know, I had one. There was a transformer issue, apparently, and they discontinued the 2000RB and replaced it with the 2001RB, which I haven't heard so many horror stories about.

Perhaps the 1000RB and the 2000RB shared a similar transformer?

17. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Apparently, the seller bought the amp eight years ago and never had any problems whatsoever with it. I feel GAS kicking in.
    I feel giddy. Apparently, part of me still wants that "Flea sound" from BSSM, even though I know it's impossible. Anyone got a Wal laying around? :D Still one of my favourite bass sounds ever, though.

18. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I really, really doubt the fact that Flea uses GK on stage has ANYTHING to do with his studio sound. The studio tone was probably direct with no GK in the building whatsoever, but rather run through some expensive compressors and mic pre's.

19. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I had a 2000 RB and used it hard for years with not one problem. Very good amp and loads of headroom. I could get any sound I wanted from it.I sold it when I downsized to a Mesa Walkabout Scout. If the 1000 you're thinking of buying has been working fine so far I doubt you'll have any trouble with it now.

20. I bought a used 1001 RB off Talkbass about a year ago and I have run it without any problems whatsoever. I set everything at noon and just plow. It's super cool, reliable, flexible. Nothing like a GK to stand up year after year. The only thing I don't like are the crappy plastic input washers and the front panel effect loop inputs.