Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Are Gibsons That Growly?!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bass_drum, Sep 24, 2005.

1. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    I just listened to "all-american rejects-Swing Swing" and noticed how growly the bass was. IIRC the guy from AAR plays gibson basses. So my question is ,are all gibsons that growly? if not how did he get such a growly sound?

2. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I caught a few minutes of them doing a live thing on Fuse earlier tonight, and thought the same thing. Not a sound I normally think of when thinking of Thunderbirds. I attribute it to new string, a tube amp, and everything on the bass run wide open.

3. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Play with a pick for that tone.

4. My Thunderbird can get pretty, no, VERY growly :D .

But I usually role off the neck pickup a bit to even it out. Also, My overall tone is pretty with punchy with some growl and when I use the Tbird I have to even it out a bit more, by dropping the bass and adding little bit of treble.

He was using an Epiphone Flying V in the Video, And Ive seen him use it live, SO I assume before they got some oney, Thats the only bass he had. Now he uses a Thunderbird, A blue one I think. Sure wish I had $2500 for a Custom Shop Tbird :crying: :scowl: :bawl:

5. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Does anyone know exactly what bass he used to record this song?

Although I want an ERB, Im into how well that bass cuts through the mix. Maby a 5 string flying V will be in order... :ninja:

6. He played an old Gibson Flying V bass, not the Epiphone reissue.
    the tone comes from a sansamp bass driver.
    Must be a tech 21 thing, I use the bass compactor and get a very similar tone with a P bass.

Incidentally, I'm not trying to sound like the guy from All American Rejects.

7. yeah, i think the bass driver, pick, and strings attribute the most to that sound

8. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA