Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Are GK amps reliable and well-built?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by refinedbass, Mar 19, 2004.

1. Hello all, I've been checkin' out some reviews of these heads and the majority of them are negative and say that the head has quit or went up in flames :eek: !!!

I currently own an SWR Workingmans 4004 to power my Workingmans Tower and I've been trying to decide on a new amp and saw the GK 800RB and thought, "That's exactly what I'm lookin' for!!" until read those reviews, so I thought I would ask you guys :help: .

Anybody got any praise or horror stories with these amps.

2. Woodboy

Woodboy

Jun 9, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    All manufacturers have problems with their products. Look how many millions of cars Detroit has had to recall. People don't post about how great their rigs are and how trouble-free they are. I have seen negative posts about every amp maker out there. I had a GK 700rb for 2 years and it never let me down.

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    GK gear is generally very well made and reliable. The 800RB's will probably go down in history as one of the most rugged bass amps ever. GK had some serious problems with the 2000RB heads, but those have since been redesigned. I'd say if you stay away from that discontinued model, you should be fine.

4. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    The 800RB is known as one of the most reliable amps of all time. On eBay, you can find 800RB models from the 1980s for around 300-350, that have never had one problem.

~Patrick

5. Thanks for the help ya'll.

Would you guys recommend the 1001RB over my current head?

6. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Are you talking about the original 1001RB or the newer 1001RB-II? They're both great sound, reliable heads, but the newer version offer 700 watts, opposed to 540.

~Patrick

7. The newer one.

8. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    The 1001RB-II is redesigned to address the reliablity problems of the original 1001RB.

9. Gk's amps are great for a punchy tone...theyre awesome amps for rock and punk or any type of music like that...their heads are just surpassing all..their heads are almighty id suggest screwing the combo amp and getting a gk head with a nice trace elliot or swr cab

10. thanks for the info on the amp.

I'm actually looking at this head to replace my SWR Workingmans 4004 head to power my Workingmans Tower, cause I need more power!!!

11. lsu921

lsu921

Jun 6, 2003
    Addis, La
    I've only had mine since January, but from what I hear if it's going to poop out it will do it within a week or two. I think the new line of head have addressed a lot of the reliability issues they had in the past. I have a 700RB (the 480 watt version). It hasn't let me down yet, and I wouldn't expect it to. GK heads are a great value.