Are Gotoh Res-O-Lites Available?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by hemhaw, Feb 1, 2006.

1. hemhaw

Dec 12, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Has anyone located a dealer for Gotoh Res-O-Lites in the states?
    From the searches I've done I've come up with nothing.

I'm looking for the GBR640 for direct replacement of my current tuners.

Attached Files:

2. That tuner you've shown is a standard vintage replacement from Gotoh. I've got a pair on one of my J's. I actually prefer just about everything from Gotoh over just about everything from Schaller! I've bought these of of ebay from a couple of my vendors.
  3. hemhaw

Dec 12, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Thanks for the advice on Gotoh over Schaller tuners.

Unless I'm wrong, the GBR640 pictured are vintage replacement but not the Gotoh tuners readily available at places like allparts or stewmac by various number such as GB9 or TK 0790.

The GBR640 are made from a different alloy and weight in at 64.0g compare to the GB9 at 115.5g. The GBR640 is part of their Res-O-Lite series.

This info comes from this page:

There has been a little talk about these on talk bass but they don't seem available in the states; I cannot find anyplace to order them from.

Any help would be appreciated.

4. Hmm, these are new from Gotoh.

Hosco or Hosakawa IS Gotoh. They are the Japanese distributors for everything Gotoh. I've ordered from Hosakawa but they have a minimum order of $1200 to avoid an additional upcharge for smaller orders. When ordering under $500 this fee will increase the wholesale price to something close to retail so there's no savings. You should be able to order these through any Gotoh retailer.
  5. fender3x

Mar 12, 2006

Looks like it's been over a year since this was posted...anyone found 'em in the USA now?
  6. permadave

Jul 20, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
  7. troyus

Apr 9, 2008
    San Diego, CA.
    I have a set of these on my custom Jazz and they are astonishingly light for their size... about HALF the weight of a vintage tuner.

I am looking for another set but can't remember where I bought the last ones! LOL.
  8. jazz3625tonic

Sep 28, 2003
  9. Colonel_Claypoo

Colonel_Claypoo Steve Harris nut

Oct 24, 2007
    awesome, thank you, great find.
  10. qidelephant

Feb 27, 2011
  11. Willicious

Willicious Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2008
    Bend, Oregon
    MOJO has them for $110.
    Great deal.
  12. qidelephant

Feb 27, 2011
    nice deal for sure. i'm ordering from them.
  13. Willicious

Feb 24, 2008
    Bend, Oregon
    whoa. :bag:

just looked at the date of OP's original post.
    oh well, good info here nonetheless.

14. qidelephant

Feb 27, 2011
    i was surprised anyone responded. thanks for the link, i ordered them today! can't wait... i'm also trying to find a bad ass III bridge in nickel but they seem to be sold out where i've looked.

also open to any other mods people suggest.

i played a deluxe jazz a long time and loved it. i had back problems and it was lighter than most basses, which helped. i had to sell but now i got a cheap p-bass special squier which sucks by comparison but looks kinda cool. going to mod it and then switch the mods over when i can pay for a new deluxe jazz....
  15. qidelephant

Feb 27, 2011
    i'd love to check out your basses! most of the vintage basses i've played are too heavy for my back but i'm hoping to find a way around that eventually!
  16. Willicious

Feb 24, 2008
    Bend, Oregon
    well, since this is a semi-zombie thread already, here's some images of my current stable—all of which use the Gotoh GBR640 tuners:

My '57 P "replica" (Warmoth body, Musikraft neck)

My twin Fender Classic 60s Jazzes

if your back needs a lighter weight bass, one of the most direct routes to that goal would be building a bass using a Warmoth chambered body. If I was going with that plan, I'd phone them and ask them to locate the lightest specimen of ash, alders, etc. they had, and then have them create a chambered body from that. That, along with lightweight hardward, would net you a much more enjoyable bass.
  17. qidelephant

Feb 27, 2011
    beautiful! the twins look exactly like my deluxe... sunburst, rosewood, etc.

thanks for the tips i will keep them in mind!
  18. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Glad to see this link for the Gotoh's. Prior to this I had only seen the ultralights on their own web store out of Japan, with the US stores only carrying the "regular weight" tuners.
  19. FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    The biggest selling point, to me, of the Res-o-lites was that I could still find the non-clover Gotoh shape in gold (as opposed to the satin gold paint of the Hipshot Ultralites), which would match my bass. However, I've never been able to find them anywhere but here:

Unfortunately, at $150 per 4-string set (I was going to put them on my 8-string bass, so that tops $300 for me), I just can't warrant the price.