Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Are Hartke bass cabinets good?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by poobass182, Jul 10, 2002.

1. poobass182

poobass182 Guest

Jul 10, 2002
    ga
    Yea i was looking into getting my first bass cabinet with a good amount of wattage even tho i may not use all of it and at a good price like hartke but the first ? i had was if they where good for there price and if they are dependable?

2. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Hartke? Dependable? YES. Very, i know stu hamm has had the same cabs forever, and their hartke. for some reason, the cheap cab makers hartke and peavey, make cabs that will live FOREVER. and they sound pretty great to me.

3. I had a Guild-Hartke 4x10, and it was an early run in the production of their cabs. It was road-wrn and the grille nearly gone, and one cone was a bit rumpled. I bought it anyway and w never sorry. Sounded warm, tight, and had a nice punch. Don't think you can screw up with a Hartke. Chris Novoselic of Nirvana used 'em on their Saturday Night Live gig, and you could hear a nice, solid but not brash wall of punch.

-Stewbone.

4. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    yeah, they sound great...but remember, they're only going to sound as good as what you're putting into them, so you have to consider your head/pre-. i just got a hartke 410xl to go underneath my eden metro, and it's killer. o O....jaco used a hartke 8x10...so, nyah!!!

5. I"m w/ the gang on this one.
    I've had mine since 93, Taken alot of abuse and use, They still sound great. Make sure your looking at the XL series or the new 2200/2100 series cuz the transporter series is made as their low end product line. These cabs are thinner, lighter, and the speakers have smaller magnets.
    2 yrs ago i had to replace 1-10", not bad IMO
    Lastly, if you gonna get just one Hartke cab try a 4.5Xl (a 4X10 w/ a 5'tweeter) awesome
    frank

6. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i think i'm going to add a 4.5xl and go with an eden navigator and a power amp of some sort laterz on. i really love the sound of the eden head going through the hartke.

7. poobass182

poobass182 Guest

Jul 10, 2002
    ga
  8. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    i have a 4x10 tp and i really like it. It cant handle as many watts is the only difference i could tell when messing with them. Also if u want a horn i dont think any of the transporters come with them, but you could always buy one and put it in yourself. Point is their not bad cabs, just not good if you want to put 400 watts or more through a cab. They have their advantages over the XL's in the weight department big time. The only hartkes to stay away from are the new paper cone speakers ive heard. Ive never used them but i havent heard good things about them.

9. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I've had bad luck with Hartke cabs! They sounded great, just blew too often:(

10. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Last month made 10 years I've been using Hartke,and believe me they can hold up to a good workout.Hartke's bass responce is BASS with a capital Bottom.

11. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    trueth

I for some reason or another disliked hartke for the longest time.. but when i got to college, my school has a hartke rig.. and it sounded like butta.. good low end.. great tone overall.. i think they are great for the $

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I like Hartke. Get the XL's or the new Pro's, but not the Transporters. Also, don't overdrive the aluminum speakers. When they blow, people get injured by the shrapnel.

13. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Like Munjibunga said don't get the Transporter series.and yes for the money they are worth it,if you can afford it check out the 7000 amp and if you have a little patience Hartke has a new Preamp and Two new Power amps coming out a 1000 and a 500 wt. model.

14. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i'll have to check those out, Jauqo...i still can't get over how good that hartke 410xl sounds with the eden head driving it...a little piece of heaven, man. i'm glad io found such a great deal on this cab...i may never have checked them out, otherwise...i'm glad i did now

15. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I have also used a Hartke 4x10 cabinet for right at ten years. Never blew a speaker or had a problem of any kind.

16. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
  17. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I like the sound of hartke cabs, a few people ive known had them and they all wound up blowing theirs, ive also seen more Hartke cabs come back to the shop than any other cab with blown speakers or voice coils than any other cab we sold at the time there.

as for stu hamm using hartkes and other professionals, they dont have to keep buying a new one when theirs blows. gotta love endorsment deals.

18. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    Probably Stu and other professionals know how to use their gear properly. I just don't understand how some people are so good in blowing speakers...

19. If you're running two cabs rated at 400 watts, and pushing them with a 400 watt head, how do you blow your speakers? Seems that you have to be pushing your limit to do that.
    I had an old SVT head with my old Guild/Hartke, and knew I could blow it if I pushed it over the line. But I got plenty of sound and punch just the same. When I ran my 15 with it, there was no issue.

-Stewbone.

20. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I have a Trace Elliot V4 (220w valve amp) and a 4x10 Transporter. I let a guy use the amp warning him that the amp was capable of damaging the speakers. WHen I came to use it again the amp volumes were on 3/4 and the cab made strange noises.

I took it to the bass centre thinking that the speakers were blown (£160/$230 each :eek: cab cost £200).

The guy fixed the cab-it had actually vibrated apart without damaging the speakers.

If this is the cheap cab then the good ones must withstand a nuclear explosion.