are Hartke heads reliable?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DUBZ, Nov 25, 2000.

1. DUBZ

Aug 28, 2000
    Yo Fellow Bassists!
    Are the above heads reliable & worth the money? I've been offered a hartke 3500 sec,hand & the guy wants £300 approx,
    i dont know much about Hartke gear & i'll be running a peavey 210tvx 4ohms & a marshall 1x15 8ohms off it!!!
    any response will be very welcome,
    thanks in advance,Dubz...
  2. I've been using my Hartke 2000 since 1994 with no problems (knock on wood). I use it quite frequently. I keep it in a pretty heavy duty rack, and take good care of it, like all my equipment.

3. not at the same time.. right? the hartke can't handle anything lower than 4 ohms..

4. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    your not planning on running both cabs at one time are you? the 4 mixed and an 8 will screw any head up, unless it has a impedence of 2 ohms.. but using the cabs seperately.. yes the hartke is reliable.. i ahve a ha3500, and it kicks ass.. best tone.. unlimited tonal variations.. ask ikickuintheballs.. he also has one
  5. I've used a 3500 for the last six years (over 450 gigs) with out any problems.
    For the money I think it's one of the best value amps around, lots of power and a great range of sounds.
    Most of the problems associated to Hartke heads were due to bad solder joints a couple of years ago, for which they gained a bad reputation, but generally they would show up the problem when fairly new.
    As the one your thinking about is second hand, if it was one of the batch that had this small problem then it has probably been sorted under guaranty.

As previously mentioned, do not use both of your cabs together as the lowest impedance that you can go with the 3500 is a total of 4ohms, as is the case with most transistor amps unless you are prepared to spend big money.
    Of course if you're keeping your Delta bass head you could slave it to the 3500 and use one cab from each head for larger venues.
  6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    My experience with Hartke has been very good.
  7. I'm VERY pleased with my Hartke 3500 :D great variation in tones (thank you 10-band EQ) and enough power for so many gigs :D it's lovely! Time to go fix my old P1 166 computer.. haha

8. DUBZ

Aug 28, 2000
    Thanks you guys!i didnt know the 3500 Hartke did not go to 2ohms ( bummer! )so i cant use my cabs together!!!but my
    peavey 210tvx can take 350watts so that should sound ok,i hope!once again many thanks for your input,Dubz...
  9. afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    I've been planning on buying a Hartke 3500 for a long time. I was gonna buy it from Musicians Friend for $399, but they stopped selling it a couple of magazines ago. Please tell me were I can buy a 3500 cheap on the internet (I live in Puerto Rico, and no store sells Hartke, bummer!!)

Please advice me which cab would be a good match. I was thinking of buying a Carvin 4x10 for $399 600 watts at 8ohmms; or a Carvin 2x10 400 watts at 4ohms for $299.
    I love the look of Hartke cabs, but they're more expensive, if you know where I can find the 3500 and Hartke cabs cheap, please enlighten me.

Tell me about the right ohms combination for the 3500.

Thanks in advance...
  10. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    hey! yes there is a place online where u can get the ha3500, for 359!!cheaper than that of mf.. the website is these heads are definately worth it.. and for cabs.. the head puts out 350 @ 4 ohms nd 240 @ 8.. which means you could only run one cab, if it is 4.. but if you ahve 2 8 ohm cabs, you can use both.. id get the carvin 410 8 ohm cab instead of the 210.. because you can always buy another 8 ohm cab and run and have a stack,.. if u have any more questions or need some help.. you can feel free to email me at

ps.. do you have an afro? =)
  11. afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    Thanks for answering my thread. I'll look into zzounds for the 3500.

Thanks a lot...

P.D. No I do not have an afro; well, not anymore.
  12. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    awesome.. i hope you like the head.. they are awesome!!.. i love mine.... grow your afro back!!!
  13. DUBZ

Aug 28, 2000
    Yo Afro man!
    if you do purchase a Hartke 3500 (i hope you do )i wouldnt grow your afro back because the hartke would blow it off your head,mine kicks serious butt & it aint fully working yet!(i need a new solid state switch)because i got it second hand but this amp is awsome & you wont be let down!
    good luck in your search for a hartke 3500,all the best,
  14. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    AWESOME DUBZ... im glad u loved the amp!! i LOVE mine.. so awesome sounding... the tube pre amp on there is so good sounding.. the solid state .. well.. is solid state... but i leave my ss off and turn the tube full on 10.. and get great tone ...

(peace out, get it?)

15. afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    I'm gonna buy the 3500 for sure, the problem is with what cabs to buy. I dont have a lot of money. I want to get the 350 watts that the 3500 can produce, I'm thinking of buying a 4x10 Ampeg which is 4ohms and handles 400 watts.

Is it a good cab? I know that if I get a 4 ohms cab, I cant get another one (two 4 ohms cabs, or one 8 ohms and 4 ohms = death).

Please advice me...

P.D. I wanted to buy a Hartke cab, but they're all 8 ohms and I want 350 WATTS NOW...
  16. DUBZ

Aug 28, 2000
    Im Glad you are gonna get the hartke,you will love it,ref what cabs to use,if you can get two (2)8ohm cabs ie,410 &1x15 you will get 4ohms going through the two cabs in total
    so there are your 350 watts!(if you aint got much cash,there are plenty of good second hand cabs around,just take your Hartke so you know the cabs are fully working & can handle your amp )OR get a good 410 4ohm cab,Peavey make the 410tvx 4ohm or 8ohm & it can take 700watts peak & they are a very good cab,i run a 4ohm 210tvx 350watts & its an amazing little cab,the 410tvx retails in the uk for around
    £380 new so i dont know what that would be in your neck of the woods?but try as many cabs as you can,happy hunting,Dubz......
  17. afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    Thank you for your help Dubz.

I think I will buy the 3500 and go to every store and try the Peavey cabs and the Ampeg BSE 410HLF, which is the one I talked about which is 4 ohms and handles 400 watts RMS and 800 peak.

When I saw the Ampeg, I was amazed, it even looks pretty, the steel grille looks shiny and all. (I really want it but it's $660).

I'll have two choices; to get a Peavey 410 and a 115 both 8 ohms, or to get that killer Ampeg.

Well, time will tell.

Thanks for your help...

18. I have that ampeg cab that you are talking about. i was luck because i got it at the musicians friend clearence center in kansas city for 420 dollars brand new, because the box got damaged in shipping and it had small dents in two of the corners.
  19. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    congrats on the choice of your head....i have the hartke 2000 head, only thing i dont like about hartke heads is all that high end hiss they get, other than that they sound great. My friend has the 3500 head and he uses it to power an ampeg 8x10 cab, so you should have plenty of power with your head. I think the Carvins are a better cab than the hartke 4x10 (see profile) the aluminum cones on the hartke speakers have a tendency to blow.

[Edited by cassanova on 12-03-2000 at 06:19 AM]
  20. DUBZ

Aug 28, 2000
    Yo Afro man,
    no problem im just happy if i can give any input to anyone
    on this site,i've been given loads of good advice from fellow bass players on this site & i think its cool,ref your choice of cabs,the ampeg sounds cool & should provide a mega sound,i dont know what price you can get the Peavey cabs for in your country (410tvx&1x15bw)but you should be able to purchase the two Peavey cabs for the price of the one ampeg cab(then you will have one big butt kicking rig!)
    if you need to find out more about the Peavey gear visit
    the web site,check out the cabs in products & then sign up to the peavey forums & post some questions about the cabs & you should get a few answers the next day,all the best & im glad to help,i hope you find a suitable cab (gear in the uk costs a lot more than in the USA)take care,