1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Are Hollow Body's Any Good?!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by altarget, May 29, 2007.

1. altarget

altarget

Oct 5, 2006
    hi.
    can anyone tell me the pro's and con's of a hollow body bass please. i understand that they offer a warmer tone but is feedback always a problem? i'm gonna be using it mainly electrically in a indie/rock band and am pretty close to buying the ibanez artcore short scale afb200 - is this wise??!!!

cheers.

2. Ed Goode

Ed Goode Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    I've been using a Dean Stylist periodically for the past 1/2 year or so. I've definitely had feedback issues with it, and I don't play in a loud band at all (classic rock trio). The feedback is controllable if you can find the troublesome frequency(s) that is causing the problem, just drop out that band and it'll help.

I do a lot of palm muting which also helps. But yeah, feedback on F-hole hollowbodies is always an issue .... ;)

This bass ....

[​IMG]

3. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Feed back really all depends on the depth of the body. A more traditional hollow body will tend to howl more than a thinner bodied model. I play a Cardboard box bass during our performances and that this is very hollow and resonant! I have to be very careful with it. I also have a Carvin AC50 that doesn't feed back at all. I think it's a touch thicker than a Fender body and looks just like an acoustic guitar. It's not loud unplugged, but it sounds great through an amp.

4. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    I've never had any "unwanted" feedback with my hollowbody basses.

5. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    Hollowbody bass aren't just good, they're GREAT! They are full of rich, deep, full, old school tone which is my favorite. Everyone should have at least one HB at their disposal.

Guitars203.jpg

6. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    Here's a list of my hollowbodies:

Gibson EB-2
    Epiphone Rivoli
    Ibanez Artcore
    Jerry Jones Longhorn
    Jerry Jones Longhorn Bass VI
    Hofner Beatle
    Phantom Teardrop Hollow

7. Edword

Edword Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Detroitish
    I love both of mine. Hofner 5000/1 and Jay Turser Beatle bass knockoff.

8. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

You can have feedback issues depending on the amp and the pickups, but you can also insert some polyfill material into the body through the F-holes to mitigate the problem. I really like the sound of hollowbodies.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021