are ibanez soundgears really that bad?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Cat, Jul 3, 2001.

1. Cat

Apr 5, 2000
    Penn State
    i was about ready to buy the sr800 till i read a bunch of people saying their electronics sucked. i was all set to buy it because i really like the slim neck and i've decided i want an active bass. however, i don't want a crappy active preamp that makes a lot of noise. that's pretty much why i'm upgrading in the first place. is there another bass out there with the really slim neck and good active electronics, or is there a way to upgrade the soundgear's preamp inexpensively? or is the sound not too bad to worry about?
  2. I've heard good and bad things about them, but I tried out a 5 string model today, I think it sounded pretty good. I didn't think it was great however.
  3. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    if YOU like how it plays and sounds, BUY it.

just cos people here (myself included) don't like them doesn't mean you shouldn't!

4. Well about the whole soundgears sucking thing, I really don't buy into that, but I have found that they are definatly not consistant. I've played really good ones, and I've played really crappy ones, of the same model sitting right next to each other on the shelf. So I agree with Warwick5S, if you like it, then get it, don't bother with what we say.
  5. Cat

Apr 5, 2000
    Penn State
    thanks guys you make it a lot easier to dump a big portion of my paycheck on a new bass that i've been drooling over for a month :-D
  6. IMO the necks are too small and the string spacing is too tight. if you're a guitar player in transition you may like how it feels.
  7. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I have a soundgear 885 that I bought back in 92. The electronics were terrible. Sounded great when I bought it but within a couple of months the pick ups started making a crackling noise. I took it back to the shop and had them new Ibanez pick ups. Same problem within a month. So I bought some EMG's and put them in. No more problem for 9 years. By the way, that thin neck has not had any problems I am quite surprised about that. I don't think I've ever adjusted it. I also have owned an Ibanez 445 that I bought as a back up and I didn't like it near as much as the 885. The neck felt clubby compared to the 885 and the pick ups just didn't sound that great.
  8. Cat

Apr 5, 2000
    Penn State
    so the bass is good just needs new pickups and/or a new preamp? thats not too bad, considering i really do like the small neck and tight string spacings. i have relatively small hands and it's easier for me to play fast on it.
  9. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    the necks are great IMO. You never know they might have fixed the pick up problem by now. also I would stay with the higher end Ibanez SR800 and up because I don't think the necks on the cheaper ones are as good.
  10. If you want a better sound but don't mind having a bigger neck, then check out the BTB, it is better i every category (IMO) then a SR, except the neck is bigger.
  11. kezekiel

Sep 24, 2000
    I agree; I like the feel of the neck. I also agree about the 800 and up; I played one of the cheaper ones, and the 810 I have was dramatically better.

Since they aren't as "beefy" as many other basses, even with upgraded electronics you won't get as thick a sound as you might with, say, a P-bass, but I still get a nice bottom from it. Also, the sustain on my 810 is so tremendous, I have to mute the strings at the end of each song to match the decay of the rest of the band. Given the smaller, lighter body and the thin, bolt-on neck, I can't guess why the sustain is so rich - but it is. Compare different builds of the same model, if you can. Maybe I just got a particularly good one.
  12. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Damm right, and if you do buy one, there will be more competition with companies like fender that may lower prices to compete. (okay maybe one bass won't do a whole lot)
  13. Hi i have had my Ibanex SR810 for about 3 week i love it its a great bass despite what everyone says the electronics sound great i can get alot of different tones for the music i play which consists of many types such as Punk ex.Misfits Metal ex.Metallica Grunge ex.Nirvana and i even play some Red Hot Chili Peppers stuff the thin Neck is great i can move around on it very fast one downside of the bass is if u play Slap it will be sortof hard because the strings are close together and the pickups get in the way but overall i would highly recomend this bass
  14. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    I have an '96 SR305 which although it is old and passive I think is a great bass. I have the biggest hands ever and I can still play it pretty well but I must admit that the electronics do let it down. Does anyone know of aftermarket pickups which will just slot straight in? and is it possible to get active boards just to drop in to the original cavity? If so how much?
  15. Jodaka

Jun 28, 2001
    Riverview, FL
    like cb56, i have an sr885. i really like the sr series and had wanted one for many years until i finally bought this one. i like the way it sounds and have had no problems with the electronics since i bought it (oct '99). try out different basses, and pick the one that is right for you.
  16. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Just for the record, my warwick is my #1 bass and my Ibanez is my #2. I also agree that the sustain on the SR885 is great, I added a wilkinson bridge which is a heavier bridge to mine and that added even more sustain. play a note, walk across the street, order a hamburger, come back and the damn thing is still ringing....