Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Are Jazz pickups humbucking?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by topper, Jun 1, 2005.

1. Ok, I know there are all sorts of jazz pups out there, some are really stacked humbuckers disguised to look like jazz pickups.

And I know that any single coil pickup will hum when soloed.

What I want to know is:

Is a standard Fender Jazz bass wired so that the two Jazz pickups are humbucking when used together?

ie: Is both the magnetic polarity and electrical polarity reversed for the neck and bridge pickup in a traditional jazz bass?

Thanks!

2. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    [Single-Coil Pick-ups] will be humbucking when they are both at the same volume.

3. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    Yes when both pickups are dimed....I think.

4. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    Absolutely. Any setting where the two volume levels are the same or even close by eachother will be humbucking.

5. Thanks for the help. I've started a web site about my bass project. Well actually I've added this project to the site I built for my last project. If you want to see it visit www.mybassproject.com

Go to "Basses" and click the link for "Franken Bass". As I write this, the site is a little behind my actual progress, but I'll fix that in the next week.

You can see my wiring diagram. One of the settings *should* be pretty close to a classic Jazz bass sound. (I hope)

Enjoy!