Are kids that didn't grow up with MTV losing out?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by JPJ, May 9, 2005.

1. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I've been on a major "VH-1 Classics" kick lately. Actually.....for as long as I've had the channel! :D It's just nice to have on in the background and/or when there isn't anything else on worth watching. I, like MANY fellow TBers, grew up with MTV....when MTV was new, fresh, innovative, and when they actually played videos. With a few exceptions (Remote Control, Unplugged specials, MTV News, and YO! MTV Raps), MTV essentially played random videos all day long. In the beginning, the station was so starved for content, they would play virtually ANYTHING, and many bands broke BIG because of this exposure who probably would have never made it out of the basement otherwise.

Because radio programming is becoming more and more homogenized and because FM radio is becoming less and less popular (ratings/listenership is down for modern rock, classic rock, and alternative music), I'm wondering if "kids these days" are missing out on a lot of great that could potentially influence them to not only pick up an instrument and learn how to play, but to influence their taste in music in general. I can't begin to count how many widely different styles of music and how many amazingly different types of bands I was exposed to by just watching random videos as a kid. When MTV actually played videos, you couldn't really predict which artist or what type of musical genre would pop up on your TV, and in just a few minutes, you would be presented with something completely different form what you had just finished watching and listening to.

Do you think that the change in MTV's programming over the last 10 years will tend to limit what kids are exposed to (to their detriment) or is the current generation of young musicians finding new music in their own, possibly through alternative means and channels? I'm not really interested in bashing MTV, but am interested if kids/young musicians are still having diverse experiences outside of MTV/VH-1? Discuss.... :)
  2. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    I think that this situation is not just extant in MTV's programming choices. In the past couple of decades there has been a move towards narrower and narrower target markets. With more TV stations at first, but now with the explosion of the internet, it's becoming more and more possible to focus your attention very narrowly on only things that you know you like. Now some people will use all the information at their disposal to discover stuff that's new to them, but many people may only use it to get more of the same stuff.
  3. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    I think the kids are missing out because of MTV. When I was growing up MTV didn't exist and music was more of an experience. When I was about 15-16 is when MTV came about and it was really cool if you had cable(I didn't). I think iTunes it the new MTV. It will do for artist what the 50's and 60's did, quick releases and instant return. I predict a resurgance of singles and short ep's. Remember the days that artists would put out a full album every year, especially Rush and the Real VAN HALEN? It was awesome.
  4. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    That exactly what I thought when I read the title to this thread. :D

Personally, I don't know why they call it MTV anymore. It should be called PopCultureTV. I don't watch a ton of television, but everytime I flip past it, there's usually something other than music on.
  5. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    That's really what I was getting at. By growing up "without MTV", I'm really talking about the current state of music television (as opposed to pre '81). I'm wondering if the last of music in Music Television is having a negative impact, or if people are finding their own ways around it to still expose themselves to new music, to challenge themselve by listening to music outside of their comfort zone, searching out music that might be unfamilar or sylistically different from what most of their peers listen to, etc.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

MTV dosent play Music anymore so i dont think the kids actually have it now.
  7. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I don't think much is missed from not having MTV - I gave up on it because it got kinda dumb; especially the fact that on TRL if there was a popular band...its the only one along with the 9 rap ones.

I mean, good music, not mainstream crap IMO...
  8. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    I NEED VH-1 classic but the cable commies don't include it in my package. I spent much of my early to mid 20s watching Headbangers ball.....
  9. I want my MTV.

If you're not getting your MTV in stereo, you're only getting half the picture.

I remember "discovering" MTV. I was in 7th or 8th grade, back then, MTV just had a loop that they ran, so when I got home from school, the Go-Go's "Our Lips Are Sealed" would be on for days in a row.

MTV launched a lot of careers and killed as many. Back then, you could still be an ugly mug like Eddie Money and still be a rock star. Once they started figuring out that the look was as important, if not more important than the material itself, (or actually made the look as/if not more important) it doomed us to the state of schlock we're in.

Remember "Pump Up The Jam" by Technotronic? Remember the video? The hot chick wearing yellow spandex, dancing while mouthing the words over a colorful background. The singer for Technotronic was a short chubby midget chick, not much in the range of "hot." But that empasizes the look and image in the marketing of music. Think of America or the Doobie Brothers, or Dr.Hook- if the music of their time was marketed with their image... God help us. (that being said, remember the videos for America's "Magic" or Dr. Hook's "Baby Makes Her Bluejeans Talk?")

As far as killing careers, Billy Squier's "Rock Me Tonite" slaughtered that hard rock image.

Then again, MTV made me think Twisted Sister looked cool.
  10. Eli M.

Eli M. Life's like a movie, write your own ending

Jul 24, 2004
    New York, NY
    I don't think I missed out by not having MTV. I'm not sure if at 20 I'm one of the "kids" this thread is focusing on, but I think I'm close enough.

My musical upbringing was unique. My father had been a rock ‘n’ roll guitarist in the 1960s, my mother listened (and danced) to Eastern European folk music, my brother sang in a doo-wop group, and my grandmother took me to Broadway shows. So other than the children’s music I heard when I was very young, most of what I heard was either foreign or from the past. My brother introduced me to Barenaked Ladies, Ben Folds Five, Billy Joel, etc. later on, when I was already in high school.

What influenced me to actually play an instrument was that my parents decided to buy a piano. Without any prior desire to do so, I taught myself starting at age 7. My father taught me guitar and I learned drums by watching my brother play in his band. I'm mostly self-taught on bass - that came later.

Whether or not I ever tried to watch music videos (I hardly ever did), my musical tastes are not what’s shown on those channels. I’m generally introduced to a new artist/style in other ways - a friend/relative lends me a CD (I wasn't a Paul Simon fand until I heard Graceland), I learn about a new musician through his collaboration with someone I already like, etc. A band I was in played a Paul McCartney song and that's how I was introduced to his solo work. And I probably wouldn’t be listening to Jaco if it weren’t for TB.

Also, when I began my composition studies at NYU, I listened to a lot of concert music (Corigliano, Adams, Ligeti, etc.) to absorb the style. That was way out of my "comfort zone" at first but I ended up liking sone of what I heard.

I'm not a big TV viewer to begin with, so I don't know if it would have made a difference whether or not MTV still showed music videos.

I feel like I've written a long, rambling post, so I guess I should answer the original question, "if kids/young musicians are still having diverse experiences outside of MTV/VH-1?"
    I certainly had diverse musical experiences without music television, and it's likely that others will too.
  11. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Between '76 & '81, I was a Jazz/Funk Nazi. Everything else sucked.
    MTV helped me find bands like Missing Persons, The Police, The Producers, Thomas Dolby, Men At Work, Duran Duran, Haircut 100, Madness, etc.
    Back then, everyone watched MTV...10-year olds to 60-year olds(like my uncle).
    Nowadaze, I can't see why anyone over 12 would watch.
    Spears, J-Lo, Simpson sisters, et al woulda been seen as nothing but teeny-bop(rightly so) & unceremoniously laffed off the air back in the old daze.
  12. Well being from Canada I only get Much Music which in the past 5 years or so has turned into MTV and Much More Music which has turned into VH1. I am 19 so I kind of grew up during the grunge/post-grunge era. I remember back in grade 5 being the DJ at a classroom dance/party for valentines day or something and being told by the teacher to stop playing Nirvana.

Early in my life I was fed all oldies from the 50s and early 60s, I swear if you put on any popular record from that time and I could sing (although out of tune and horribly sounding now) every word, from Little Richard to Buddy Holly and the Big Bopper.

Now I believe I have a wide range of music tastes from Jazz to heavy metal. Even though back in the day I was one of those kids who would buy an album just for the singles and that was all I would listen to. But since I started Highschool I've been listening to more of what I like rather than what is popular, I discovered Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Primus, Pink Floyd, Jimi Hendrix and many many others.

I attribute these discoveries of great bands and the like to the internet, I would've never had the chance to sample bands and find ones that I really liked if it wasn't for Napster. Now I'm not condoning downloading music, I have bought more cds since I started downloading music than the rest of my life combined.
  13. we only got mtv here a few years ago, and it was after they stopped showing music videos so i cant comment on that change per se. However i can mention the shift taken by muchmusic once mtv canada started. It was always a music station that operated for profit so naturally they aimed at the younger markets when i started watching (around 92-3, i'm 22 now), there was obviously a lot of grunge, but there was a rap hour or something like that every evening as well, and with shows like the wedge (it used to be daily, now its barely weekly) and going coastal they'd give others a chance to have their videos shown even if they werent backed by a major label. All in all it was a cool channel. Since MTV came music has been eliminated, its all mtv reality shows that are a year behind (ie: i'd heard ashely simpson on the radio before i knew about her show) and shows like going coastal and the wedge were bumped into late night weekend time slots, they're still good shows though.

I got exposed to a lot of music via muchmusic and the radio when i was younger and though things like allmusicguide, local scenesters and cool record store guys i was shown to a world of music that i didnt know existed, but was happy to find.

I would say that kids today are loosing out on a lot of music, but the ones that want more than the top 40 are going to find the music regardless, the internet has provided a way to find music (like itunes or and the only limit is how much you want to hear. A kid now could see an outkast video and be happy, or some might start looking and find out about groups like public enemy or Eric B. & Rakim and take it from there to 70's funk, motown etc etc etc.

edit. that was a long one, sorry dudes, i hope you found something worthwhile in that after it being so long.
  14. I think MTV has ruined an generation of kids. Its all about turning a profit any more, so they had to narrow most any of thier music programming down to hip-hop, rap, and pop. Ok, MTV-2 has Headbangers ball and a rock show, big deal. FUSE is where the action is at. Rock is big and alive on there, with many shows devoted entirely to it. One of them plays a classic video at the end of it, thus exposing kids to music they normally wouldn't listen too.
  15. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    When I started reading all of those names, I was scared to death that you were going to say Men Without Hats. Thanks for not saying them. :)
  16. As a 15 year old, I honestly do not think that I've missed anything with MTV basically shuffling around the same couple of mainstream songs. I also don't think I'm missing anything by not listening to the radio (with the exception of NPR) because *most* stations are under ClearChannel's rule, which always plays the same boring songs. I do think that it is harder for me to find new bands that I like, but the internet really opens things up. Not only does it allow for easy access to songs, but it helps new bands get their name out, and word of mouth on places like this forum helps spread artists around.
  17. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002

Nope..I'm 3 years older than you Joshua..(not that I want to be the oldest on this thread!)
  18. MTV is probably only a slight reflection of the truth of musicbiz 2000 style. The smaller labels are pwned by the big (and I mean BIG) companies Universal, Bertelmanns etc.

The small, indie record stores have been swallowed up by the Virgin, Sanity etc megastores.

Most of the 'alternate' scene in music today is fed by the internet -sites like Pitchfork reviewing music and switching people onto new and interesting sounds. Once this groundswell of interest has been raised to a decent level by independent distribution, the major label swoops and signs the band. Its quite similar to the 70's and 80's, but without radio.

I agree - iTunes will be the next MTV-type wave.
  19. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    MTV blows. Or sucks. Reader's choice.
  20. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Help me to understand this question, are the kids who missed the MTV I saw in the 80's, the one with a bunch of bands with great haistyles and zero musical talent, the one that caused the end of the career of muscians with chops who didn't have "the look", the one that launched the careers of "Right said Fred", "Cameo", "Loverboy", and that chick who sang "micky, micky, micky your so fine" Deprived? As opposed to the kids who watch todays MTV with @#*hole, Real World Beverly Hills mansion part 76, and A minute in the life of Ashlee Simpson? Damm tough choice!!! :rollno: