Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Are Lakland Skylines the best quality Korean made basses? POLL

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Squidfinger, Sep 30, 2004.

1. Much better. They blow the others away.

20 vote(s)
    35.1%
  2. Marginally better. Noticeably better quality.

13 vote(s)
    22.8%
  3. About the same.

7 vote(s)
    12.3%
  4. Other Korean basses (Ibanez, Spector, etc.) surpass them.

3 vote(s)
    5.3%
  5. Don't they grow carrots in Korea?

14 vote(s)
    24.6%
  1. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Well, the impossible just happened. I just got done talking with my financial aid officer and he told me I will definitely (not maybe) be receiving $2K :eek: in the next couple months. I'm torn between a Yamaha Attitude and Lakland Skyline Bob Glaub. So please just vote on the poll. :help:

2. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    No, Poll, but heck yes to the Lakland. Best thing to come out of Korea since hot chicks.

3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    My guess would be that Skyline are the highest quality basses coming out of Korea because they are the most expensive. I really don't know because I have never owned a Skyline, I have just played them in stores. I was impressed with them in stores, but that can be deceptive. I don't know how many times I played a bass in a store a few times, really liked it, took it home and then noticed things I didn't like. Finally, I would like to say that my G&L Tribute is really great, Spectors seem to be fine and Ibanez BTB basses are Korean and are in the same price range as Skylines.

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I wouldn't pretend for a minute that I've tried a lot of basses coming out Korea.

BUT - To me, this is the coolest thing about Skylines --- They come back to Dan Lakin's shop in Chicago and get inspected by people who know what to look for, so that, no junk goes out. If it ain't right, that bass ain't going nowhere.

That is in stark contrast to other basses that just get crated to the US from Korea and sold to dealers.

Plus, Dan will personally email you back if you have any issues with the Skylines.

5. Bassart1

Bassart1 Guest

Jun 26, 2003
    +1 What he said. And this makes a HUGE difference.
    They not only inspect them but also install electronics and pickups on the 44&55-02 models and do complete set up on all including fret file and nut re-cut if necessary.
    Customer service at Lakland is the best in the business.
    This is intentional on Dan's part. If you're not happy, he's not happy.

6. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Groove Tools. Don't forget Groove Tools.

7. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I suspect that if there were a market for them, Korea could produce whole lines of basses equal in quality to Skyline. It's just not their slot in the market at this time. I also suspect that in a few years, Korea will be where Japan in now, mainly producing high-end instruments.

8. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    That, my friends, says it all!

9. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    As the owner of two Skylines, and having played everything from a $150 SX to an expensive Fodera, I have to agree with Dr. Cheese and Rickbass. The Skyline is an excellent bang for the buck.

10. Squidfinger

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    This will be the only bump.

11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Lakland Skylines are certainly in the upper echelon of Korean built basses. But right up there with them are the Conklin Groove Tools and MTD Kingston, Heir and Saratoga. The fit & finish on those are every bit as good as the Skylines.

12. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Ahhh, ya beat me to it....
    [​IMG][​IMG]

13. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    i have never played a lakland, skyline or otherwise, but i know that the groove tools basses are as good as any other bass that ive played

14. I agree

15. duke2004

duke2004 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2004
    Cambridge, Mass.
    I own two skylines and the craftsmanship is superb. For the price the 55-01 is an amazing deal, though not my taste in sound. The signature models (I own an Osborne 4 and 5) have the advantage of great design and pickups from back in the states along with the quality build from Korea.
    If the skylines had lousy design and were well made would anyone rave about them. Its the best of both worlds, for us consumers that is....although it certainly is "outsourcing" yet again

16. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Financial aid officer?

That's not your tuition money you're spending, is it? :eek:

17. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Word up, beef dog. As sweet as Skylines are, I'd save that $2K to help pay off those school loans. Even if one were to declare bankruptcy, school loans do NOT get written off.

I definitely think paying off school loans takes precedence over a shiny new bass.

18. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I love my skyline!!!

19. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    My thoughts exactly. I would highly recommend that you not spend your tuition money on an instrument. You know your situation better than anyone else but if you can avoid it you should - particularly if it means that you'll be financing your bass for 8-10 years as a part of your student loan repayment.

20. Squidfinger

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA

It's not a loan, it's a grant. I don't have to pay it back as long as I graduate school. The whole reason I'm buying the bass is because it's much more money than I need. I was really only expecting $1K. I'm spending a 1000 on the bass, 500 on some test equipment I need, and saving the remaining 500 for next semesters tuition (most likely my last semester). So you see, it all works out. :)

If I had only received the $1K I was expecting I would do the right thing and not get the bass.