Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Are Laklands Overpriced for What You Get!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rickreyn, Sep 8, 2002.

1. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Are these basses really at the level that their prices indicate? Why are they so special? Many handmade guitars cost less. How does Lakland command their prices? To me, they are pretty much taking off on the Fender-Musicman vibe.

2. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I don't know.. I think laklands are worth the price. I've played several... never owned.. but IMO all of them were built solid and were very comfy to play.. the tone of these basses are great as well.. I think they are worth it.....

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    If you love the tone, there's nothing else not to like IMO. Fit and finish are impeccable. Playability is world class.

4. You pay for the fit and finish. Same with Sadowsky. You're guaranteed not to find a dud.

A lot of people say, "Oh, Sadowsky/Lull/Celinder/Lakland are just overpriced Fender clones." Thing is, with one of those, you're guaranteed an amazing instrument out of the box. Not so with Fender, that's for damned sure. :rolleyes:

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    They're worth it. I mean, if they weren't why would I own two? No, really. Why?

6. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    As for what really has set their price, isn't it just a simple question of supply and demand? If I understood things right, their popularity has increased significantly over the last few years, making it possible for the company to charge more and earn more.

Sure, they probably spend quite a lot of time perfecting the finish and setup too. But there are less popular brands with the same build quality and quality of materials that are less expensive - because of the lesser known name?

7. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Laklands will remain worth their price as long as some people will buy them.

I don't know the way their oval bridge looks, though. Not in harmony with the rest of the bass, IMHO.

8. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I damned agree!

brad cook

9. I just bought a lakland 5501. I Think it is worth every bit of what I payed for mine. I love the way it feels and the way it sounds. I think it has a good tone.

10. Gil Escalera

Gil Escalera

Jan 17, 2002
    Upland, CA
    *** Are Laklands Overpriced for What You Get!! ***

No. :D

-- Gil

11. HELL YEAH !

even a Lakland Skyline costs $ 2000 over here :(

for that kind of money you can get a custom-build, custom-fit bass !

12. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
  13. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    what brother allodox said. here in europe they are really really pricey.

same thing happens with musicman.

for the same money i can have a truly handmade bass with killer tone from italian top class luthier.

this is the main reason i will never buy a lakland, lakland skyline or musicman bass. even if i like them a lot.

14. yeah.. export costs are way too high.. same with european basses.. they're very pricey in us.. ( e.g. warwick, status ), while they cost little over here

15. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Me too. The rest of the bass I like, but that bridge disturbs the look enough to disqualify the bass for me. I haven't asked, but I guess it's an important part of their image, so my guess is they would not like to replace it. Anyone have a Lakland with a "normal" bridge? I think I have seen a picture somewhere...

16. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I don't agree. I really do think that most of the Laklands that I have played are very nice basses. I feel that they are easily in the same quality field with the other basses in their price range. I've not played a bass in the under $2000 range that approaches any where near what I think is special about the American Lakland.

Mine is pretty much perfect in the fit and finish, it's very comfortable because of it light weight, it sustains a note better than any of the basses that I have, the neck is very stable and I've never had to adjust the relief since I've owned it, it is less susceptable to RF noise than most all of my basses because of the high quality of shielding.....I could go on.

It's really a beautiful bass which in some ways has caused me some grief. I've always been afraid to get a scratch or bump on the bass so I've never really been able to relax with it. I did have an a bit of an issue with the oval bridge but I got over that very quickly after playing it.

I know that many people have many different ideas of what makes a great bass and we most likely don't always share the same ideas. That's what keeps alot of these bass builders in business and gives us TB'er lots to discuss and debate. I've just found that the Lakland seems to fit what I think makes up a very nice bass. I never for once felt that it was overpriced.

17. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I've played mine once in a "gig". My first impressions:

1. Now I see why they say soundmen like them. It produces a sound that simply takes over the low end of the mix distinctly and clearly.
    2. Sustain is forever and ever.

I removed my belt! I too am scared.

The oval bridge. You get used to it.

18. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    he-he.

That's why I bought that older Modulus SS-4 with custom inlayed scratches and dings.

And anyway, it's like owning a new car. Once you get passed that first scratch... :eek:

19. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I think that the American Laklands might actually be cheaper than some of their contemporaries with similar options... you can get a new 55-94 from MF for about 2700... what other basses can you get in that price range with as much attention to detail? there will be a few, but in my mind, very few.... Then to talk about the Skylines.... very difficult to beat the skylines for bang for your buck.... Maybe Laklands are underpriced!

P@

20. I have a US-made Lakland that I paid <$1500 for.

Is it worth the money? Absolutely.

Fit and finish are outstanding - and here's my latest customer service story.

This Friday I'm headed to Chicago to see the Stones. I emailed Dan Lakin and asked him if I could drop my bass off for a factory setup. I told him he could UPS the bass back to me when he was done with it.

Dan emailed back and said if I could get the bass to him by 3pm on Friday they'd do the setup while I waited so I could take the bass home with me. To make a long story short we decided I'd drop the bass off in the morning and pick it up before the concert.

You can't ask for much better customer service than that.

And - my 55-94 Standard isn't the prettiest Lakland around (but I like it) - but the thing is a tone monster. I'd put it's B string up against anything out there - except for maybe a Dingwall.

It's an amazing piece of hardware. When I go to the factory on Friday I'm gonna try to a/b some Skylines against some US Laklands.

My advice? Keep your eyes open for a used 55-94. They're easily worth the $1500-$1700 they go for.

If that's too pricey, consider a 55-02. Best $1000 bass out there, IMO.