1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Are Laklands Overpriced for What You Get!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rickreyn, Sep 8, 2002.

1. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I don't think so. I personally think that a Fender American Series/Standard is overpriced for whatr you get. Bad fretwork, oversized neck pockets, scratchy pots, uneven finish. I think a $1000 bass should have more attention to detail.

Let me not get into their "Authorized Service Centers".:rolleyes:

2. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    My support story. When I got my new/used deluxe 55-94 from a fellow TBer (only played for two hours in bedroom), the treble, bass and mid pots were loose. My first response was panic. New bass. Problems! But I knew all I had to do was tighten the nut. But I was scared to do anything with the knobs seeing no way to loosen them. Then I thought, I'll just take my chances and call Lakland. Went right into the shop and the guy calmed me down and said simply pull the knobs off and tighten the nuts. I did. Tightened the nuts and popped the knobs back on. Good as new. Overreacted. Now the bass is showcase perfect.

3. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    IMO Lakland USA basses are worth every penny. They sound and play as good as anything. The only better bargains out there in Fender style instruments are made by Mike Lull. They are still underpriced for what they deliver.

Chuck

4. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I've bought three other basses this year in addition to my 5594. I have to say the following:

Buy whatever you can used if you can.

LKaye

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

Great advice!

6. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    It hurts to take that hit, as many of us have before learning our lesson. Scan the wires. It's fun and cost-effective.

7. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    None of these "high end" basses are worth anything near their new retail price in my estimation and I've now bought 2 brand new ones over the past 2 years, one a Lakland 5594 Tealburst (beautiful piece by the way) and an F Bass BN5 (another extremely beautiful bass too!!!). However, getting a newer piece, let's say a year old or less like the above instead of new, or a Sadowsky which I just bought a "pre-owned" one that doesn't even look like it's been taken out of the case!!, would have between them saved me literally $2500 over new, and I would have gotten the exact same basses.

There was an absolutely stunning 5594 Lakland natural quilt with Seymour Duncan pickups at the low end that was just killer looking for $1800 about 3 months ago. There are really nice F basses that go for under 2K used and there's Sadowsky's for $lo2000's that, for their attention to detail, better build quality, custom or upgraded electronics, better fret jobs, finishes, and tops, and by far, better "service" directly from the dealer, be it Dan Lakin, George F, or Roger Sadowsky, that makes these basses absolutely worth in my mind the $1800-2400 that you could get a mint used one for. As far as new, I don't don't feel any of these basses are worth the $750 to 1250 more one's got to pay than getting one in beautiful mint or near mint condition for and it's certainly questionable if these basses are worth the $1000-2000 more new than a new MusicMan piezo for instance. But for the same amount to a grand more, I wouldn't touch the MusicMan if any of these basses were available in mint condition and a color that at least didn't turn me off (green for instance?)

My task now is to compare A,B,C, and D, my four basses to see if my $1350 investment in an 11 year old Modulus Q5 with mid tone added can compete tone wise and flexibility wise with my three others that cost at least $1000 to 1500 more, and to compare F, Sadowsky, and Lakland 5's in the same rooms with the same speaker cabs and amp settings to see whether we can get "the sound" for that room by adjusting the tone controls on the bass or maybe a "better" sound by slightly tweaking the amp's or the other eq.

Why am I rambling again? Because USED equipment in nice shape, especially when you're talking higher end stuff, is a MUCH MUCH cheaper alternative and value added decision than buying customized stuff new if you can find a color/top/etc. that you like.

Because of used, all of a sudden what was unattainable for me 30 days ago (Sadowsky) is now doable.

I feel that Lakland's are a better value new than a lot of higher end basses, but, between the used market glut of high end stuff and the Skyline series, this is a great time to pick up a used Lakland for a mere pitance of a new one, even at a dealer.

LKaye

8. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    After reading that I am happy I bought used. I feel sorry for my friend who bought it new. Somebody has to get "taken" for this system to work. At least I did my share contributing a stunning flawless Stingray 5 (black with birdseye maple neck, upgraded with pearloid guard). What I am trying to eliminate is coming in on the high end on a used piece. There are some more dollars to be saved there too and I have more to learn.

To buy new, you've got to get the deal of century on a bass that everybody wants, but still count on a $200 loss.

9. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I have a mixed opinion on Laklands. I have found other basses I like more that cost less, brand new.

However, one thing I've heard and read a ton about was Lakland's customer service. It's important to me, as a buyer, that if I'm spending many thousands of dollars on a bass, I can always rely on the luthier for help, should I ever require it.

10. Hey, rickreyn -

Right now a reasonable price for a used 55-94 is $1500-$1700 depending on finish and condition. I wouldn't pay much more and would be amazed to see one for much less.

Here's mine. I paid $1475 delivered - I installed the pickguard about 8 months ago.

[​IMG]

11. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Hey, rickreyn -

- If you really feel sorry for your FRIEND, then you should share in his loss and return to him 50% of the amount lost.

- The only way to overcome the $$ lost due to selling a bass bought new is to reinvest every $$ into a USED bass of equal or more value.

- I also sold a new bass to friend "X". And I will not touch the funds until I find the "right" used bass in mint/exc. condition at a good price. This way I minimize my loss, and if I get a very good deal...:D

12. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    You are kidding right?

13. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    This is what I am talking about. Even when you buy used, you find out that you were willing to pay more than the whole world. However, I believe the bass I got would be on the high end because of its meticulous care and quilt maple finish. Maybe I should dicker more, but I have dealt with high quality people who are not trying to pull one on you. I always practiced a policy of leaving a little on the table for the sake of everybody being happy. This paves the way for the next transaction.

14. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Hey, rickreyn -

Am I kidding?....Of course! :D

15. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I had gotten out my check book.:)

I did the same thing after the Stingray fiasco. Bought my Cirrus for a song. I justified the "loss" that way.

I am sure I paid too much for the Elrick, but not by much.

I would seriously consider the Zon 4 if I were you. The Smith photos were lousy.

16. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    "The Smith photos were lousy"

What? Now I'm confused.:confused:

17. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    The Smith 4 I thought you were looking at, not your 5 or your photos.:oops: Sorry.

18. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I like the pickguard. Nice addition, looks great

brad cook

19. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    I buy almost everything used and I have the patience to wait as long as it takes to get what I want. The downside is that it may take years to find what I'm looking for and I'm at the mercy of the market as far as options, finish, condition, etc. Since I'm in this for the long haiul, no sweat.

I know some who know me may find this odd but I can understand people shelling out extra bucks for new. First off, there's the "Cootie factor" (I'm serious). Some people don't like to buy stuff that's been handled by who knows who. Doesn't bother me so I save money.

Then there's the "Close but no cigar" factor. Admittedly I've come across what I'd consider some pretty amazing used basses but the easiest and quickest way to get exactly what you want is to buy or order it new. Obviously it's rarely the cheapest. Imagine how long Adrian Garcia would have to wait for a Spalted Maple MTD 635 like his to turn up used?;)

Last but not least there's the "Somebody's got to bite the bullet" factor. If someone doesn't support the luthiers and buy new, there is no used market. Thank goodness for people who are willing to do this (again, I'm serious). And contrary to what some think, I have bought new basses and I'm about to order another one shortly. I don't feel stupid at all:D

I don't see new purchasers as being "taken". If someone's in a position to buy new and can't or doesn't want to find exactly what they want used, I say go for it.

20. Monkabutt

Monkabutt Guest

Apr 15, 2002
    My house
    I bought my 55-94 used. Took about a year to find one with the finish I wanted etc. Paid $1,800 for it and it is worth every penny. Great finish! Great neck! Great tone! Great bass! It was well worth the wait and time spent looking!

[​IMG]

MB