Are LEDs on a bass cool or not?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MatW, Aug 29, 2002.

1. LEDs are great. Go for it!

145 vote(s)
  2. LEDs will make you look like a showoff. Don't do it.

96 vote(s)
  1. MatW

May 10, 2000
    UK, Swindon
    Hi All,

I'm in the market for a new high end bass at the moment. I've got a hankering for a Status (as you can see from the picture below), but I'm also currently in the process of trying many basses out to see which one grabs me.

Status can factory fit LEDs in the fingerboard for an additional cost and I'm seriously considering it. This will be my main axe for years to come so I don't mind spending that little bit extra for something special.

I reckon it would look great, and it would have practical uses too, like being able to see what you're doing in poor lighting, etc. I do worry though that they might look a bit too 'flashy' and naff. I'm a pretty good player, but would everyone assume I'm a real showoff and ask me to put my money where my mouth is? Maybe I should hang on to the extra cash and put it towards a new amp?

What do you think??
  2. Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    Have a switch fitted to switch between, side markers, side and front, and all off. Thats what im planning for my warwick.

checkout He's the guy to talk to.

3. PJR

Jun 20, 2001
    N.E. PA
    I think the LED's are cool, and functional !!!

I vote Go for it, and worry not what others think !! :)

4. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I thought about putting SIMS custom (not on the board, side dots) on either my mtd or my R bass singlecut. I guess since the R bass has become the main, that is the one to do it on.

Anyone ever had them installed? Any effect in tone/ playablility? How was the install?

Thank you. drive thru....
  5. I have been toying with getting SIMS to fit LEDs to a couple of my Spectors - just need the moola first!

I think they'll look good - go for it!
  6. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    I have a student who wants the LEDs. Sims charges (if I remember correctly) $732 to add face and side dots. Of course from a musical standpoint, I've counciled him that the money would serve him far better towards the purchase of a quality rig. It's better to sound good than to look good, in any genre.

That being doesn't hurt to draw attention to oneself, and there's nothing wrong with putting on a "show", as long as you remember it's your playing that will truly get you the good gigs. For better or worse, most people go out to "see" a band. A good light show goes a long way towards making a band look professional, and paying attention to how you look and dress shows an audience that you care enough about entertaining them by making the effort. Acting like a pro is more than half the battle to becoming a pro, IMO.

Having LEDs on your bass will draw the audience's attention to you, which can be a good thing if you reward their attention with good, solid bass-playing. Ultimately if you don't play well, the "magic" of the LEDs will wear off rather quickly.
  7. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    Oh takes three (!) 9 volt batteries to power the LEDs, so if you don't have the space in your electronics cavity, and you most certainly don't, a new cavity has to be routed out of your bass. If you already have an 18 volt system, you're talking about having as much as 5 batteries in your bass :eek: .
  8. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Fair enough, but the only thing I really want this for is for side dots, so I can glance and know where I am. On a stage with only red or blue lights, and my board has nothing, Sometimes I can't see where I am. Granted most of the time I am in yoda mode, and I can ehar where I am, if I freak out and look, I really would like to know where the hell I am.
  9. i think it's a gimmicky waste of money.
  10. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

I practice/rehearse in low light conditions for just this reason. That way I don't depend so much on visual information and more on muscle memory and hearing.
  11. Absolutely can't see the point myself.

12. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I think they're functional and great. I plan on having them installed for the side of by bass. I do this for a living, and I'm finding more and more lightmen who think it's cool to have little or next to no lighting on the stage. I get sick of having to angle my body to catch what little light I can. As for people not liking them, well, it's like Blink 182, if you don't like 'em, don't get 'em. ;)
  13. BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    I'm not so sure about their functionality, but they look cool and I bet they look great on a dark stage.
  14. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    The side LED's are very functional.
  15. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    LEDs. Blech.
  16. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    LEDs are Cheese X 10. They also advertise the fact that you don't know your fingerboard.
  17. I'm with Woodchuck on this, I would like the side mounted LED's. There are times on stage when the colored light mixture really screws with my eyes, and having the LED's where I could see them as opposed to where the audience could see them would be advantageous. Replacing the fretmarkers on the fingerboard with them would be a show thing and of no real practical use to me, but if that's your thing, go for it.
    The reality of it is it wouldn't be worth $700.00 to me so I'll probably never have them.
  18. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Not necessarily. Some people get 'em simply because they like cheese.

I'll probably never get them because of the expense and the added maintenance (battery replacement). But even though I prefer the clean look of a fingerboard with no top dots, I would love to have a bass with LEDs on the front as well as the side. If some other musicians thought I was cheesy or using the equivalent of training wheels, that is fine with me. Cant' please everyone.
  19. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    sums it up for me too

plus, 3 more 9 volts? not worth the extra weight and cramped control cavity
  20. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    When you guys do your first show without EVER looking down at your neck, lemme know. I'd like to see it. :rolleyes: