Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Are lightweight machineheads worth the money?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by honza992, Jan 29, 2006.

1. honza992

honza992 Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2006
    I've got a Fender Highway P bass but find that there is a bit of headstock dive. Im thinking about putting on some lightweight machineheads, but they're not cheap. In the UK the Hipshop Ultralights are £20 ($30USD) each, plus installation so it's not a cheap option.

Has anyone out there upgraded from the Fender standards to the Hipshots? How much difference in headstock dive did it make? Would you recommend it?

Cheers.

2. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    They charge installation for the tuners?

It's fairly easy to install. Just take it slow and pay attention to what you did to take them off.

I don't see why they're not worth the money. I've heard good things about them. But, on the negative side is there much point in buying lightweight tuners?

It's up to you!

-Mark

3. Fawkes007

Fawkes007

Sep 13, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    YES!!! The Hipshot ultralites will make a HUGE difference in the balance and weight of your bass. If you have a neck divey axe (like a Jazz), swap out the tuners for the ultralites. You'll be glad you did. They will become the standard in due time.

4. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    I'm trying to get hold of some ultralight tuners, not fender style, schaller is it? like on warwicks etc... but i'm thinking of getting all black hardware because the hardware at the moment is satin silver. Any idea where I can either of these finishes in the uk?

5. Fawkes007

Fawkes007

Sep 13, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    Check out Hipshot's website...I think you can order what you are looking for direct from them.

6. I love Hipshot Ultralites.

I've never owned a bass that had better tuning machines.

7. I would think the first thing you would want to do is take the current tuning keys off and see if the bass is still neck heavy. If it is.... obviously lighter keys aren't going to help you. If it's not, they it's probably worth a shot.