Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gareth, Apr 18, 2003.

1. gareth

Jun 9, 2002
    Looking through the posts and threads on TalkBass it often amazes me how important the looks and colour of a bass are to some people.

I'm not saying looks and colour are unimportant just that to me the most important part of a bass is its SOUND/TONE - if this is good I can live with its looks and colou
  2. amac

Oct 9, 2002
    Commerce, Georgia
    It's always nice when you like/love the way a bass looks, especially if you're shelling out some money.

However, I did find a washburn bass that had a single bassline pickup that I loved the tone of. Serious slap tone. (It was like an RB model - but no pickguard. Anybody know? It may have been modified). It was a transparent baby blue and the grain was white. One of the ugliest basses I've seen, but I was more than willing to overlook that because of the tone. I took some stuff to trade (over the phone he said we could probably swap out even). However, after an hour drive, they wanted an extra $200. So I walked away very upset and dissappointed. I wish now I would have paid the extra $.
  3. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    My opinion is that with so many fantastic playing and sounding basses today, why shouldn't I get one that also looks good?
  4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
  5. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    what they said...
  6. If you can have both tone/playability and appearance, desire both, and work hard for your money, there is NO reason to compromise.

Kind of like...nah, I won't say it.
  7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    When I buy a bass NEW then I care about the looks. Used ones, well you don't have the same choice.

I have one bass that I don't like the look of at all, a black on black US P-bass but since it was only $200 with case, I do not get too upset about it :D
  8. If the bass looks good , you look good , if you look good , you feel good , if you feel good , you play good...........should I carry on ? :D
  9. Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    Personally, I play better on a bass that I think looks better.

I know it's just psychological, but hey, I'll take any improvement in my playing I can get! (especially if it doesn't even require practicing.)
  10. Sometimes I wish I had crappy looking bass. That way I wouldn't worry if it fell down or got a ding in it.

11. 'xactly.
  12. way_of_opiatism

way_of_opiatism 28d, 6h, 42m, 12 seconds

Feb 5, 2003
    if im gonna spend a thousand dollars or more on an instrument, it better look pretty darn good. it should already sound good at this price point.
  13. Lozenger

Feb 26, 2003
    i wouldn`t buy a bass if it didnt look good. I have to scrape together as much money as i can to get a decent 1 and with all that effort i want something i can FEEL proud of. you may say but you can feel proud of the tone but it is true it makes u look better-feel better-play fbetter with a bass that you thing looks good. :D happy bass playing :bassist: :D
  14. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    I really don't worry much about appearance. I've had some ugly basses, not just beat up, but they were great players. These ultra Buckeye Burl, single cut, AAAAA quilted tops are ultimately insignificant if an instrument doesn't have great tone and playability.

It's kinda like a hot chick. You may see one that's beautiful but makes you cringe when she speaks. God may have made her the fairest of all but not partcularly bright. There's so little foundation below the surface you wonder how the structure doesn't collapse and implode. Meeting a smart and beautiful girl, OTOH, who can carry a conversation for miles is a truly religious experience. ;)

Hey Gareth,

Did you happen to own a Status Empathy 5 with a quilted maple top at one time? I remember the name Gareth in the control cavity when I owned it for a bit. This also aids in supporting my point. :)
  15. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I don't want to play an ugly-looking instrument. I'm sure most people would agree with me.
  16. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    if im gonna spend a thousand dollars or more on an instrument, it better look pretty darn good. it should already sound good at this price point. - Way_of_Opiatism

Right on! If I'm dishing out over $1000, I'm not going to buy a crappy looking bass.
  17. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Beautifully put.

That isn't to say I don't have an open mind: I own a couple of otherwise-excellent basses which have mediocre appearance. But there are simply too many good choices out there for me to play a bass which I think looks stupid or ugly.
  18. Would YOU pay $500 +, when you have little money, for a bass that looks like crap?

I'd take a bass thats cheap, looks like crap, but plays and suonds well over a higher priced bass which looks awesome, however.

It seems pointless to spend hundred on a bass you don't even like!