Are mesa cabs worth the money

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by theshadow2001, Feb 14, 2006.

1. theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Like all mesa stuff their cabs seem to be alot more expensive than other cabs. Since Im going to get a new 4x10 in the next month or so I was just wondering are they really worth paying for? Are there better cabs that are cheaper?(In your opinoin of course)

My main reason for considering the mesa powerhouse is that I think that they would be rugged and hold up to rough treatment of regular gigging.

It sounded good with my m pulse

I like their high wattage ratings

Also to keep continuity in my rig. In that the cabs would of been designed with mesas own amps in mind.

I'd like to hear some of your opinions on the matter please.

Oh and second hand isn't really an option. Not only because of the lack of any decent stuff on the second hand market here but also cabs are probably the last thing I would buy second hand
  2. New? No. Plenty of other options in the price range. If you are not stuck on the traditional formats, Bergantino and Schroeder have lots of fans here. Unless for some reason yoou are contracturally obligated to a 4 X 10.
  3. theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    The only trouble is that being in Ireland schroeders and Bergantinos would have to be imported from somwhere which I think would drive the price up considerably. however I'm not sure of the price of these cabs so it could still work out cheaper.
  4. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    They are worth it for certain styles of music. There are better cabinets for other types of music.

I play progressive alternative/metal music with a 5-string and like an aggressive, punchy, dark, hi-fi sound. That is what you will get out of their cabs. For this they are worth it. Man, and they sound nice with Mesa heads behind them.

I got all of my Mesa stuff on ebay for a fraction of the price new.
  5. AH. Didn't notice that... How about Trace Elliot? They have some nice stuff.
  6. Vanni

Sep 15, 2003
    Milan, Italy
    IMO it worth every penny I've paid for... but here in Italy I've paid my Powerhouse 4X10 less than an Eden XLT 4X10...

It's not better and not worse than other 4X10 cabinet in his price range (1000€ more or less), but I like his character so much!

I think it's the way to go, if you have a Mesa head... :)
  7. theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    I was looking at schroeders there. Man those cabinets are cheap! a 310212 costs roughly €1000 euro. If I accounted for bad currency exchange and shipping I could get one to ireland for maybe €1500/€1600
    (Thats an extremely rough estimate but its good to over estimate with these things.)

Where as a mesa 4x10 would cost around €1300/1400 alone. plus another €950 for a 1x15. Thats alot of money. Alot more money.

I have my doubts about schroeders whether they can really compete with big stacks and stuff and I would have to buy without hearing it and just trust whats been said here. (but that would be the same for any cab other than mesa GK or Peavey) Anyone one who buys them seems to be replacing small cabs of the similar speaker size and I wonder how they compete with big stacks.

I was considering markbass as well....oh I really don't know anymore. I just want my rig to be finished and done with :bawl:
  8. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    Absolutely worth the money... and used ones are a steal!

9. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I am not sure about overseas, but I would consider Mesa cabs a bit overpriced here. I have a Mesa 400+ head and nothing against Mesa, but a lot of what you are paying for is the brand. Are they good top of the line cabs? Yes. But so are some others, such as Bergantino and such mentioned above, which are cheaper and sound as good or better in my opinion. However, overseas I am not sure about pricing and avalibility.
  10. theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    I would agree the prices of mesa stuff seems to reflect the brand name. I'm thinking that I shouldn't let myself be suckered in again by it. I laugh at people who pay €500 for a shirt or a handbag but here's me considering new mesa gear.
  11. Schroeder has an Italian dealership.
    Wood & Tronics
    Via Martin Luther King ll
    34079 Staranzano (GO) Italy
    ph. +39.0481.710495
    Are there import duties between EU countries? This could save you some money. Besides it is just a short hop to Bergamo to test the cabs... at least shorter than the flight to the States.
  12. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    Nop, and Enrico from W&T seems a great guy to deal with. I contacted him but it turned out that the shipping costs from Italy to Greece were as much as from the USA (!) so I ordered my Schroe straight from the US. But I'd suggest anyone interested to mail Wood and Tronics for a final price, Enrico is very helpful.
  13. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    I think the older Mesa cab's are totally worth it...and then some. I'm currently using an old Mesa PH1000 (Road Ready) cab with EV's in it and it simply destroys any other cab I have tried.

I've played quite a few of the new Mesa cab's and they just don't impress me as much...especially for the pricetag that comes along with them.

If you can...hold out for a good, older Mesa cab, hopefully you can find one loaded with EV's...that's worth waiting for.
  14. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    Update: My cab arrived at the Athens airport today or yesterday. Thing is, the taxes turned out to be quite more than I expected. Should have bought from Wood&Tronics after all, I'd have saved 200-300 euro. Just a warning for any other europeans thinking of ordering from the usa.. although the taxes might be that high only in Greece, dunno.
    I'll pay 200 euro for a cab of $200 declared value, and 45 more so that FedEx does the payment for me and I don't have to go to the airport.
    Good thing is, it came pretty fast (a week or so) and I'll have my Schro in a few days :hyper:
  15. permadave

Jul 20, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I agree, though you said that there weren't really any good used ones readily available. My Mesa with EVs sounds awesome. I lucked out and bought it off my friend when he moved to the west coast for $100. Very sweet! I know that he had bought it off ebay at some point for around 300-ish as a local sale. I'm sure shipping one of these to europe (or anywhere) would be ridiculously expensive. If I were going to spend top dolloar for a new cab, I would get bergantino. I played through one of their 4x10s at a local music store and it sounded awesome!
  16. theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    When you talk about cabs keep in mind that only the most popular brands are available to me. SWR Ampeg Mesa Orange Trace GK Markbass Peavey...that more or less sums it up. There's so much stuff out there and I can't try any of it and I really need something and I don't know what to get. buying a cab is is like playing darts blind folded for me, its could be hit or miss!
  17. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    I'm just going off your earlier post saying you're using an MPulse head...I take it that it means a Mesa MPulse head. Without knowing what sound you're going for, and also assuming you've got a MESA head..I'd say try Mesa. The reason I like Mesa is because, to me, it's a sound between my two favorite cab's (SWR and Trace Elliot)

Mesa cab' me.... are deep like the old tunable port Trace's used to be, and still a little hi-fi sounding like the SWR's... kind of the middle in my opinion. And the road ready cab's from Mesa (like my PH1000) could take a push of a tall building and be totally playable. They are virtually indestructable.
  18. I don't want to hijack the thread, but I've just wanted to say that Enrico is a very cool guy to deal with and also an incredible player. I've got my Schroeder 1210 from him (he lives less than 2 hours drive by car away from me) and the customer service was top notch in every way. Not to mention that his mother can cook the most delicious soup I've eaten so far.:smug:
  19. Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    FWIW I have played SWR Goliath 410 cabs for years through a series of high quality amps - Ampeg SVT2, Mesa 400+ and SWR SM900. I have a pair and take either one or both depending on the gig. The cabs have NEVER let me down (which is more than I can say for the heads).Like you, here in New Zealand we also are stuck with the "popular" brands, but I would happily go with SWR again(although all my SWR gear is "pre-Fender").
  20. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Hehehe... I'd play Goliath III's over most. I regret getting rid of mine all the time..amazing cab's.

Man you're lucky...Goliath's AND a NZ resident!! Man I'm jealous!:smug: