1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Are Mexico Fenders Still 5+ Pieces of Wood?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by amphlett7, Feb 18, 2018.

1. amphlett7

amphlett7

Feb 27, 2008
    Basywater, Western Australia
    Audiofly In-Ear Monitors And Headphones
    I have a Mexico Jazz bass neck that I love the feel of but the Jazz body was way too heavy.

I stripped it to do a refinish and found the body was 7 pieces of wood glued together (With a laminate top and back)
    IMG_3069.JPG

This was a 2006 model.

Does anyone know if the newer ones have ditched the multi-piece body.

2. I bought a Fender jazz bass American Deluxe V some years ago, it was the model with the block inlays which is now called American Elite.
    You could clearly see under the paint (it was black) that the body was made of 3 pieces of wood glued together.

3. superdick2112

superdick2112 Mile High Bassist Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    Looks like the body on my Classic 50s P is 3 pieces.
    Can't tell on my Steve Harris (white/graphics), but I'm pretty sure there are at least 2 or 3 bars of lead hidden in the body. :dead:

two fingers likes this.
  4. The Classics and the Roadworns might be different. But the mexican Standards are made this way AFAIK.
    Apart from the optics: there is nothing wrong with it. Most US made Fenders are 2-3 parts, at least on see-through finishes. 1-piece bodies don't make sense, they are less stable and more prone to warp than 2- or 3-piece bodies.
    IIRC Fender once announced that they no longer use alder or ash veneers on multipiece bodies. But for example my Pawnshop Bass VI top was a bit too flawless...
    Fender Mexico Factory:
    Fender Mexico MIM_shaped_blanks.

5. FloridaTim

FloridaTim

May 29, 2013
    Kissimmee, FL
    For comparison, a shot from the US factory. Look like 4 pieces to me.
    fender.JPG

DirkP likes this.