Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Are MVPs still hip?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ostinato, May 8, 2005.

1. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    Forgive my sophomoric question; being a 19 year vet (years playing, not my age ;) ), I should really know better. Are Pedulla MVPs hip? Or are they just another 80's relic? I've never played one, but if I could ever get my hands on a fretted four string with Jazz PUs....boy I tell ya...

2. Justice

Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
    MVPs are forever...

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    What he said.

4. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    Other than Mark egan, I can't think of any cats who use them, but they are gorgeous and well crafter instruments, and while they do look a tad dated, i'd love to have a nice mvp5 or 6 (or buzz)... :bassist:

5. James G. Ellis

James G. Ellis

Jun 22, 2001
    Kentucky
    MVPs are undoubtedly hip in my book; they're the bees knees, the cat's pajama's, etc.
    I think they're great basses... among some of the finest ever made in my experience.

6. teacherguy

teacherguy

Feb 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    I do recall reading that at recent NAMM shows, the Pedulla both has had very few visitors which I took to mean their popularity was waning.
    FWIW, I've never been to a NAMM show and I don't play out so I'm just sharing a perspective.
    I like 'em.

Jon

7. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    waning popularity = waning price maybe? Hexabuzz here I come!! :p

If only that were realistic. I never played one but I have mad non stop GAS for one.

8. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    They are very much hip.

That's all.

9. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

You'll probably be happier in the long run if you get the bass you actually want rather than limit your selection to whatever is hip. :bag:

10. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I'd like to see Mike get a little more innovative, but I have a feeling that those a Raptures at GC are what makes his house payment. MVP 4's ecsp. are very fine basses, great tone, no neck dive, smooth as butter necks. The fives are a littel anemic in the B string Dept. But I've had two buzzes (4's) and they are excellent basses.

11. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    Now that is what I want! :bassist:

12. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Probably not so hip anymore. Personally, I don't like the V-profile neck, but they're very well made and competitively priced for a boutique instrument.

13. vacman

vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    Pedulla is as hip as ever...it is just not the flavor of the month right now. Pentabuzz is an amazing ax with tone for days, and the MVP is likewise.

14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Man, that wasn't my experience at all. I had a Rapture J2 fiver, and the B string on it was killer! Better than most 35" B's, and better than a lot of 'big name' B's too.

I would still have it if those darned Bartolini J pickups weren't so dark sounding.

15. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    The MVP/Buzz is a classic in my book.

16. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Embellisher, I'm referring to the MVP series, The Rapture Fives have excellent B's and are a great alternitive in the Fender clone catagory.

17. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    A damn fine bass by anyone's standards is always hip.

If I ever get around to another fretless, a buzz of some sorta is at the top of a very short list. In fact, you might say is was the list.

18. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    back when i worked at gc (who here hasn't?), i used to love the rapture and thunderbass 5 strings with taper core b's... they sounded pretty good and the the raptures were probably the best basses they carried (this was like 96 though, so don't flame me on warwicks and such) :bassist:

19. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Pedullas don't have V - profile necks.

I've picked up quite a few and owned two. Never seen it.

If Victor Wooten were playing one, people would be falling over themselves to get one.

20. The guy from Muse plays one.