1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Are my pickups to "hot"?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Bighead Kid, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Bighead Kid

Bighead Kid

Jun 2, 2007
    I took my head in because the channel switch was messed up and it would go from clean to overdrive without pressing anything. I told him that I had an overdrive problem. He comes back to me later and asked if this was the problem, then he picks up an active bass and all this overdriven sound comes out of the amp. He said he had used a pair of really "hot" pickups. I have an active bass and I get distortion when I turn up loud. I run a backline 600 through a backline 15 in cab. My question is can the cab not handle the amp or do I have hot pickups? My bass uses a bart soapbar.

2. Active pickups have hotter outputs than passives because of the preamp. There should be a -14dB or -20dB button on your amp head that you press for use with active instruments. If not, just keep the volume on your bass down.

It actually sort of solves a lot. That way, if you ever need instant overdrive, just turn the volume back up. And the active circuitry should mean the volume knob won't roll off the overtones.