1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Are my strings too tight?

Discussion in 'Ask Patrick Neher [Archive]' started by George92, Apr 15, 2010.

1. George92

George92

Apr 15, 2010
    Leeds, England
    I recently bought a double bass (my first) as I'm starting to learn it. However, I have noticed that the overall sound is abit dull compared to other basses (espeacailly E) I have the feeling that they might be too tight? If so, how can i solve this problem? or is there another solution altogether?

George

2. Welcome aboard, George.
    Your profile is empty.
    Care to put some info about your gear and setup there?
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/profile.php?do=editprofile

Also please note that cross-posting the same question on several boards is not a very good idea.

Best of luck!
    François

3. George92

George92

Apr 15, 2010
    Leeds, England
    Hey man,

Ah cheers for the advice :) im just a newbie lol

4. You're welcome.
    Your profile says you have Pirastro strings.
    What are the silk colors at the tailpiece?

5. George92

George92

Apr 15, 2010
    Leeds, England
    They are a dark blue at the tail piece

6. These are Original FlatChromes.
    They're mostly an orchestral string.
    The A & E are thick and not useful for pizz, so I understand your questioning.

If you are playing mostly jazz pizz, I suggest you simply buy other strings.
    If you are a beginner, then you could like Corelli strings.
    They are very easy to play, and have a much better tone for pizz than the strings you currently own. (which are good for orchestral work with the bow)
    And they're not very expensive.

7. George92

George92

Apr 15, 2010
    Leeds, England
    Ahh cheers man!
    Yeah that sounds great for me! I'll check those strings out

8. George92

George92

Apr 15, 2010
    Leeds, England
    Had a look on their website, could you advice me on a certain type, there are several, and gauge. Also is ther somewhere i could possibly hear what they sound like?

9. PNeher

PNeher

Mar 31, 2005
    Bellingham, WA
    Some good advice from François. It sounds as if you have Pirastro on there but it's really hard to say. These days so many strings have the same color windings. Anyway, particularly if you are just starting out playing bass, I too would recommend Savarez Corelli, medium orchestral gauge in Tungsten steel. The G and D of these are a bit thin so I use the "Neher Mix" which is Pirastro Permanent on the G and D, then the Savarez Corelli on the A and E. There are plenty of other possibilities out there, but it is expensive to "try out" strings. Generally, retailers will not take them back once you have put them on a bass. But if you are near a shop with a lot of basses, go try out those with different strings. Though the bass makes the most difference in how a string will vibrate, at least you get an idea of the gauges. Just like electric bass strings, there are myriad gauges in string bass strings.
    For all-round general Classical (bowed) playing, I recommend Pirastro, Permanent or Flat Chrome (though on my bass I prefer the Savarez, again for the lower strings as the Pirastro get pretty thick and IMHO "tubby.") For beginning to intermediate learners the Savarez are thin and facile but require absolutely correct bow placement. Pirastro are more forgiving thereof, but take more weight, in general, to play. For pizz (jazz or other), there are, again, myriad choices. Spirocore seems to be a favorite as are various "rope core" strings, like Thomastik's Rope Core. And D'DAario makes a "hybrid" string for both jazz and bowed playing. Anyway, it'll take years to find the right string for your bass. If you love the bass, keep at it. If the bass does not respond very well, it really doesn't make a huge difference what string you put on, except for how it "feels." One thing to keep in mind: "It is NOT HARD to play the bass!" ~~ Me. So if you are struggling, change the bass, the strings, the teacher, the bow, the environment (maybe it's too dry for the bass), etc... until you find the right combos for you.
    Best!
    Patrick

10. George92

George92

Apr 15, 2010
    Leeds, England
    Awesome advice man, thanks for that :D yeah its just the tone i was worried about not the actually playing so i think i might go for something that has a nice sound when you play pizz.

Thanks alot :)

11. The Corelli tungstens are the 370 series, George.
    They have a nickel series (380) which is even more cheaper, but you may be disappointed with the E string too.

12. George92

George92

Apr 15, 2010
    Leeds, England
    Thanks alot fellas :D